Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Innovation: Conductive ABS filament is available by Repraper Tech

Posted by 3D filamentor 
New Innovation: Conductive ABS filament is available by Repraper Tech
May 22, 2012 10:44AM
Since last month we success launched Glow in Dark ABS and Glow in Dark PLA filament,now a new product with innovation is coming now. It is Conductive ABS Filament.

As one of the reprap’s purpose is that they can replicate themselves. Now for plastic parts it is easy to achieve this purpose. But for other parts is difficult. We want to find a solution that with filament can print these electric parts. If this goal can be achieved, it is a revolution. That’s why we develop conductive ABS filament.

Our current conductive ABS filament can not be printed for electric parts because of its still high resistance. But it is a good beginning.
Why I post it here because I think someone maybe need these filament. Because it can be used for anti-static area, hertzian wave shield, RFI shield etc. area. I think maybe you can find the other application by yourself. For more details you can view Http://www.repraper.com.

The other purpose is I hope all RepRappers can share your innovation and ideas about 3d printer and 3d printer filament future. If we can get all idea together and inspire each other, we can accelerate 3d printer progress.

If you have new idea or you have new customization needs, you can contact me through admin@repraper.com. We will try to supply the solution.

REPRAPER TECH, BEYOND IMAGINATION WITH INOVATION!
Re: New Innovation: Conductive ABS filament is available by Repraper Tech
May 22, 2012 11:33AM
Interesting.

The description says "Resistance 10^4 Ohms/cm".

For which cross-section, the original 3mm filament ?
How was that measured ?
Does the resistance change with temperature ?

Thanks.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
May 22, 2012 11:48AM
Hi DeuxVis,

It is based on 3mm filament. I have not test the corelation with temperature & resistance. Normally the resistance will be lower if the temperature is higher. But is it linear corelation or exponential corelation or others, I have no answer yet.smiling smiley
May 26, 2012 09:54AM
Will there be a conductive 3mm pla? I can't use abs because I run my printers where ventilation would be tricky and expensive. I shall be very interested in any tests done on printed objects with this filament, to see how the extrusion process affects resistance, and whether resistance is isotropic or based mostly on infill directions for example.
May 31, 2012 05:37AM
Hi James,

Good questions but with disppointed answersad smiley

Currently we don't have conductive PLA because we can not find conductive PLA raw material in the market. If you find somewhere can sell this raw material please let me know.
So are you making this product yourself, or have you just found a manufacturer doing the lifting and you're redistributing the product?
June 15, 2012 03:01AM
Just come up a idea, as you know Sn is a metal with low melt point. I wonder whether we can combine them into the PLA to get the conductive character. The questions is how to make sure the Sn will not jam the extruder during production. I will try it during our next production. Anybody have other ideas, please share with us. I think conductive filament is a valued study for us.smiling smiley
20% carbon black (soot) by weight in the polymer filament produces very low resistance plastic which can be extruded. See

[www.plosone.org]

Please, please, please make this filament!!

(PLA 1.75mm... might as well ask since I'm begging!)
sorry, that's 15% by weight... the linked paper has the details but this was their final choice.
The touch screen accessories (like pens) are made by electric conductive materials, Is this ABS material suitable for touch screen interactivity?
Can it conduct enough electricity to control the screens?
Conductive PLA
March 11, 2013 03:41PM
Looks like conductive PLA is right around the corner too. Check out this paper. [www.sciencedirect.com]

|
| Lead Developer of Marlin Firmware
| Help support my work at Patreon and Elsewhere.
|
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login