Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Azteeg X3 Controller Pre-Order. Limited time pricing.

Posted by royco 
Azteeg X3 Controller Pre-Order. Limited time pricing.
July 26, 2012 02:53AM
Hi,

The AZTEEG X3 3D printer electronics is now available for pre-order. $99 for a limited time. This is being priced aggressively to increase the first production run.

Description:

The Azteeg X3 is a full featured, easy to use 3D printer Electronics powered by the reliable and powerful Atmel ATMEGA2560 micro controller.The X3 is designed with excellent high current capability to run most 3D printer configurations including those with dual extruders and large, power hungry heated beds.. Will work with Prusa Mendel, Mendel Max, Ordbot, Printrbot and most 3D printers.

We've combined the RAMPS and the Arduino Mega into one sleek package, added lots of cool stuff, beefed up power handling and made the Azteeg X3 pin to pin compatible with the popular RAMPS controller. This means you can use it right out of the box. Compatible with all mainstream reprap 3D printer firmwares including SPRINTER, MARLIN, REPETIER and others.

The X3 has a removable top shield to physically protect its parts which also doubles as an expansion board (12-24v Boost power supply for example). Printing via micro SD card is now easier with the built-in microSD slot and also has built in buzzer.

Reprap Wiki Page: Reprap wiki

Pre-Order link: Panucatt.com

Lots of options to complete your electronics package

1. Azteeg X3 with 4 SureStep stepper drivers $139
2. Azteeg X3 with Helios Heated bed platform $134

Most of the additional options are available only as a bundle to the X3. You can also add thermistors and endstops for a one stop purchase.Check out the "Detailed Options" Tab on the pre-order page for description of the available options.

Ships International.

Thanks for looking.

royco
Re: Azteeg X3 Controller Pre-Order. Limited time pricing.
July 26, 2012 07:54AM
What kind of MOSFET is inside of this Controller I see on the wiki pictures some small surface mounted mosfets and my heated bed drain even 12V ~12A with 24V this can going up to 20A can you may write anything about mosfets and cooling of it and how this acts for 24V ~20A powered heated bed?
July 26, 2012 11:32AM
tommy_rapper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What kind of MOSFET is inside of this Controller I
> see on the wiki pictures some small surface
> mounted mosfets and my heated bed drain even 12V
> ~12A with 24V this can going up to 20A can you may
> write anything about mosfets and cooling of it and
> how this acts for 24V ~20A powered heated bed?

Those are High current, low resistance Mosfets but I would suggest using 12v to power the 12v Heated beds. The Mosfets can do 20Amps but it would get very hot, adding a heatsink on the bottom pad would help.

If you are talking about the boost power supply from 12-24volts, those are for the motors. The bed remains at 12v in this case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 01:34PM by royco.
July 27, 2012 02:58PM
I've already pre-ordered one but out of interest
Are the pins to run something like the Panelmax or Ulticontroller available?
July 27, 2012 03:18PM
Polygonhell Wrote:
> I've already pre-ordered one but out of interest
> Are the pins to run something like the Panelmax or
> Ulticontroller available?

Thanks.

Yes, the expansion headers has 16 available pins in it, but if you have not bought any LCDs yet.. you might want to wait just a little bit more. smiling smiley
August 06, 2012 01:23PM
Here are some of the available add-on options for the Azteeg X3 Controller. Currently not sold separately.

Helios Heated Bed(rendered image)

Stepper Drivers based on Allegro A4982

I have pre order it was said to be ready by mid August, i would like an update on that

Thanks
August 18, 2012 12:39PM
@ SergeF
@All

I was going to make an update when I saw your post. Unfortunately there is a delay on the blank PCBs and 1 electronic part that will push the stated 2nd half of August start of shipping to end of August (May take up to the first week of September to ship all pre-orders out).

I apologize for the delay. Technically it is still on schedule but I was targeting an earlier 2nd half rather than end of 2nd half of August start of shipping. Please contact me if you have questions

Thanks

royco
Hi Roy,
Are you going to license this board if someone wants to manufacture it?

thanks.

Eduardo Souza
August 21, 2012 03:50AM
Eduardo Souza Wrote:
> Hi Roy,
> Are you going to license this board if someone
> wants to manufacture it?
>
> thanks.
>
> Eduardo Souza

The source schematics will be available on the wiki after everything has settled down and finalized. License is not needed to use the files.
August 22, 2012 06:15PM
royco,

Why is the stepper driver chip on the underside of the SureStep boards? Won't this increase the heat buildup and have the chip cut out sooner? There doesn't seem to be room to put a heatsink on the chip, or get good airflow from a fan (sideways of the board). Just curious.

Do you have a rough pricing on what the heated bed will cost? Your boards look great, if they run as good as they look, you will have lots of orders.
August 22, 2012 07:36PM
@Beekeeper

On the contrary, the driver chips has a heatpad at the bottom where they dissipate heat, it will run a bit cooler since the heatpad is now exposed on top of the board( connected by large vias). The area for the heatsink is now larger than the pololus/stepsticks since you have almost the whole top layer for it. Since the heatsinks are now directly connected to the heatpad of the chip it has better heat management(instead of the heat going through the chip before reaching the heatsink). I am running them without heatsinks set a little over an amp with just getting warm. I also used 4 layer board so more copper is available to the chip to dissipate heat. Plus it adds a bit of protection for the parts to be underneath and they look cleaner.

The Helios heated bed should be around $35 to $40, it is 1/8" thick (flat and sturdy). You can even mount just 3 points on the board to ease leveling. It also comes with stainless steel mounting hardware, including those for the wires. Unlike most heated beds, they are made from TG170 material. It was also designed to be mounted with the heating traces facing up, so a glass sheet is required. It has the same mounting footprint as the Prusa Heated beds.
Just preordered mine with 4 SureSteps and a Helios! I can't wait, this will be a great replacement for the RAMPS that I was about to order for my second printer.
With which software should it work?

Thanks
August 30, 2012 02:22PM
I have 4 stepsticks (A4988 chip) are there any issues with using these drives for the X3?
August 30, 2012 03:44PM
@SergeF

I have tried it with Marlin and Repetier. Any firmware that works with the RAMPS will work with the X3 since it is pin to pin compatible. Some other features not found on a stock RAMPS like the buzzer, micro SD slot, extra mosfet drivers would need to be turned on in firmware.

@iKilledKenny

Any Pololu style/compatible drivers will work.

Thanks
September 06, 2012 08:23AM
any updates about shipping?
September 10, 2012 12:12PM
Just an update.

I managed to ship about 15 orders this weekend and maybe another 15 by tomorrow and hopefully everything else by Thursday. The heated bed will ship separately if you ordered one, will start going out Wednesday/Thursday.

Thanks, PM/email me for questions.

royco
Hi,

I was hoping you could answer a couple questions for me:

1. Could I use this with the Rostock 3D Printer?
2. Can I connect a USB cable to it?
3. What is the maximum heated bed size that this board will support in terms of power? (I don't want to overload the power on it and blow it out)

Thanks!
September 18, 2012 01:20AM
> 1. Could I use this with the Rostock 3D Printer?
Yes, using the custom Rostock firmware. The X3 is pin to pin compatible with RAMPS, so basically if it will work with the RAMPS will work with the X3.

> 2. Can I connect a USB cable to it?
Yes, it has a mini-USB B connector

> 3. What is the maximum heated bed size that this
> board will support in terms of power? (I don't
> want to overload the power on it and blow it out)

I tested it with a continuous 15Amp load without any problems. Qu-BD used their 12x12 inch ceramic heater on the X3 without issues.

Hope that helps.
September 24, 2012 09:55AM
Hows it going with the rest of the orders?
September 24, 2012 02:18PM
I think I have less than 10 that I need to ship, and everything will go out by this Wednesday. Documentation is also close to being completed. The heated beds shipped separately as those where the last to come in.

Roy
September 24, 2012 02:33PM
Hey Roy, I received my Azteeg last week, need to find some time to solder the connectors onto it.
Have the Heated beds started shipping yet?
September 24, 2012 02:34PM
We just received our X3 today. We haven't run it yet, but it looks very nice. The heatbed is especially good and heavy. Packaging was good. Some soldering required for the motor connectors. It has one plug for Z (unlike RAMPS 2). The USB connector is mini-USB and is *not* through-hole, so plugging in & out will require care (USB connector failure is probably #1 board failure in general, when not through hole).

Overall, I'm very impressed at the quality. Excellent job. smiling smiley

-Jeff
September 24, 2012 09:30PM
@polygonhell Yes they started shipping

@jebba Thanks, please let me know if you find something out of the ordinary or encounter issues.
September 24, 2012 09:38PM
My Azteeg shipped as I said I assume my heated bed will be sent separately?
Hey Royco,

I'm planning on ordering one Azteeg X3 controller for a Printer I am building for our College. I was wondering if you could ship it soldered? I would not want to mess it up by soldering myself. What is the price for that? And if yes, how do I choose that option on your website?
September 26, 2012 04:49AM
@polygonhell Yes, they shipped separately

@Shai Your easy way out is getting the one with the wire harness, just select if you want the right angle or vertical. Leave a note on your order to solder the connectors.

Thanks

royco
September 26, 2012 05:57PM
Got both my board and hot bed, and they look fantastic. Now I am waiting on my other components to build my i3.

Question, the hotbed came with some fiberglass tape (guessing nomex) is this intended to be taped on the underside of the board so it is sandwiched between the hot bed and the wood bed?
September 27, 2012 02:22AM
Yes, it is adhesive backed woven ceramic tape and goes under the bed after you install your thermistor( cut to 8 inch lengths). Make sure to press firmly so the adhesive makes a good bond.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login