Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Machined Extruder Parts

Posted by reifsnyderb 
Machined Extruder Parts
December 01, 2008 10:37PM
Hello,

I am new here and have spent some time looking at the RepRap project. While looking at what parts are required, I was wondering how people procure the parts for the extruder as most people don't have a lathe. Is there somebody here that makes these parts?

Since I am very interested in the RepRap project, wouldn't mind having a RepRap, and have a machine shop, I am willing to make the extruder parts...if there is some interest. I already spec'd out most of the materials and figure I could make the parts kit (barrel, nozzle, bearings, feed screw, etc.) for some cash or some sort of trade. (i.e. Somebody sends me some RepRap parts I need and I send them the nozzle kit...at least until I have all the parts to build my own RepRap.)

What does everyone think? If there is some interest, I'll build 8 kits and see where it goes from there.

Regards,

Brian Reifsnyder
sid
Re: Machined Extruder Parts
December 02, 2008 04:11AM
Very nice idea!

'sid
December 02, 2008 12:16PM
Interested but where are you located? US or UK or Other? What prices are we talking about or what trades are you willing to do?

Demented
December 02, 2008 12:33PM
Hello,

I haven't determined what the pricing is yet. Give me a day or so...I have all of the materials priced out and I'll try to get a rough estimate tonight.

I am located in Pennsylvania, USA.

Regards,

Brian
December 02, 2008 09:53PM
Hello,

I just finished figuring out the cost of raw materials and here is what I am offering:

1 Cable-Drive Extruder Parts Kit, which contains:
(This kit will only be shipped upon request. I have been reading a blog which indicates that the cable-drive system is not as reliable as the direct-drive system.)

A. 2 6x11 mm bearings drilled with a 3mm hole
B. 1 Nozzle of either 0.5 or 0.4 mm (0.4mm unless you specify the 0.5mm)
C. 1 Barrel
D. 1 PTFE holder
E. 1 Drive Screw
F. 1 53mm steel cable (closest SAE size as 3mm may not be available in the USA)
G. 1 M6 shaft for drive screw connection via steel cable.
H. 2 M6 Nuts

UPDATE:

I have added a Direct-Drive Extruder Parts Kit, which consists of the following:
(This is now the default kit.)

A. 2 3mm half-bearings
B. 1 Nozzle of either 0.5 or 0.4 mm (0.4mm unless you specify the 0.5mm)
C. 1 Barrel
D. 1 PTFE holder
E. 1 Drive Screw
F. 2 M5 Nuts

Note: All metal parts are brass unless otherwise stated.

Either kit for $34.00, plus shipping ($10.00), to the US and Canada.

If you want to trade, then I will trade for a RepRap part or parts of equivalent or lesser value (Within reason, of course. For example, if you send me a stepper motor ($25?), and pay to ship the motor to me, I'll send you a free parts kit...and pay the shipping myself.). We will have to work it out, of course, as I won't trade for parts I don't need.

Regards,

Brian

(Edited on 12/8/2008--shipping and handling charge added and listed as to the US and Canada.)

(Edited on 12/11/2008--direct-drive parts kit added and is now the default kit)

(Edited on 12/12/2008--changed the nuts, for the direct-drive kit, to M5 to reflect the drive screw being M5.)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2008 02:00PM by reifsnyderb.
December 03, 2008 11:29AM
Hello,

I have two people interested and just need 3 more.

Regards,

Brian
December 03, 2008 11:35AM
LOL! I expect that given a few weeks you'll have more prospective buyers than you really want. smiling bouncing smiley
December 03, 2008 12:04PM
Indeed! Color me very interested. Guess that means you just need 2 more?

- Rick

A chicken has a head the size of a walnut. Yet, even it has the sense to come in out of the rain.
December 03, 2008 12:43PM
I just need 2 more! I have ordered some of the materials and tooling that I need in order to properly equip my machines to build these kits quickly. I'll order the rest either today or tomorrow.

Regards,

Brian
December 03, 2008 01:44PM
Rick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>A chicken has a head the size of a walnut. Yet, even it has the sense to come in out of the rain.
>
You'd love angora goats. They're so stupid that when it rains they look up to see where it's coming from and drown.

That's hyperbole, but I have come across more than a few that got their wool caught in a barb wire fence or on brambles and rather than pulling away, just stood there and starved to death.
December 03, 2008 01:53PM
Hello,

Ok, I just finished ordering all of the materials and tooling in order to start production. This week, I'll make up the special collets that I will need in order to more efficiently use the lathes to produce the kits.

Regards,

Brian
December 03, 2008 03:57PM
I just sent an email for 2 kits. So it may appear that we have a go for parts.

Bob Teeter

Bob Teeter
"What Box?"
December 03, 2008 09:25PM
LOL! smileys with beer
December 04, 2008 02:35PM
um, I don't want a full kit...my extruder body works very well not that I have it c-clamped *AND* bolted together. What I wanted was the PTFE and Heater barrel parts...no nozzles, got plenty. Also, I would stay away from the flexible shaft design...sucks a@*!!! Very unstable and worthless...

If you have pieces you want to sell, let me know. As I said, I would like PTFE and Heater barrel, in finished form...though no holes for the pins in the PTFE! I'll do that myself as it's custom.

Demented
December 04, 2008 05:11PM
Demented Chihuahua Wrote:
> um, I don't want a full kit...my extruder body
> works very well not that I have it c-clamped *AND*
> bolted together. What I wanted was the PTFE and
> Heater barrel parts...no nozzles, got plenty.
> Also, I would stay away from the flexible shaft
> design...sucks a@*!!! Very unstable and
> worthless...
>
> If you have pieces you want to sell, let me know.
> As I said, I would like PTFE and Heater barrel, in
> finished form...though no holes for the pins in
> the PTFE! I'll do that myself as it's custom.
>
> Demented

Hello,

I wrote you down for the PTFE and heater barrel section. I'll have to come up with some pricing for individual parts, however. I am not adding any holes to pin or otherwise attach the PTFE to the extruder housing as any pin holes would probably either be the wrong size or not line up anyhow.

I am considering a direct-drive kit, in the future, as it may be something people are looking for, as well.

Regards,

Brian
December 04, 2008 09:31PM
Ah! Most excellent! I'd be glad to buy at least one of each from you! Maybe work out some barters in the future for other stuff as I have my machine completely working except for that darn barrel. Even got some pretty good prints out of it as it popped!

Let me know on the pricing and such at your convenience.

Demented
Anonymous User
December 05, 2008 12:33AM
Hmmm this seems like something i'd hop onto, but I'm in Canada. Would you be shipping up to here in the future?

Also, I'd be somewhat interested in a direct drive version. All indication is that it is the better design.
December 05, 2008 08:45AM
FireCrack Wrote:
> Hmmm this seems like something i'd hop onto, but
> I'm in Canada. Would you be shipping up to here in
> the future?
>
>
> Also, I'd be somewhat interested in a direct drive
> version. All indication is that it is the better
> design.

Hello,

I haven't shipped anything to Canada, so I don't know if there is anything that I have to worry about. (i.e. customs) If I can just drop the parts in an envelope and send them to you, I'll do it.

Regards,

Brian
Update
December 05, 2008 09:25AM
Hello,

I just reviewed all of the shipping notifications and I should have all materials and tooling delivered on or by 12/9/08.

Yesterday, I received the M6 threaded rod, the cable, the M6 nuts, and the PTFE.

Last night, I made up the collet to machine the PTFE and was working on the M6 collet.

Regards,

Brian
December 05, 2008 04:57PM
reifsnyderb Wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I haven't shipped anything to Canada, so I don't
> know if there is anything that I have to worry
> about. (i.e. customs) If I can just drop the
> parts in an envelope and send them to you, I'll do
> it.
>
If you haven't been posting stuff overseas, there is a little customs declaration sticker that you have to fill out and attach to the mailing envelope. It's no big deal.
December 07, 2008 11:22PM
Hello,

I am going to set the postage and handling at $10.00 for up to 5 kits. After figuring the cost of a padded envelope, the cost of postage, going to the post office, etc., I figure that $10.00 is reasonable. Assuming that there are no surprises for mailing to Canada, the $10.00 is good for the US and Canada.

I'll post updates, on my progress, as everthing gets done.

Regards,

Brian
December 08, 2008 09:07PM
Hi,
I am interested in an extruder.....When it is ready.

Thanks,
Ben
December 08, 2008 10:18PM
Ben gissel Wrote:
> Hi,
> I am interested in an extruder.....When it is
> ready.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Hello,

I added your name to my list of requests for parts kits.

Regards,

Brian
December 08, 2008 10:22PM
Hello,

I received all of the materials and almost all of the necessary tooling today! I now have all but one of the collets made up and have tooled up my MS3 lathe turret with the required drill bits. If everything goes well, I can start making parts tomorrow evening.

Regards,

Brian
December 09, 2008 04:09PM
I'm interested. Is the offer still open? Please email me with how to pay you and I'll get it out right away. garndt@artistryent.com
December 09, 2008 11:51PM
Gregory Arndt Wrote:
> I'm interested. Is the offer still open? Please
> email me with how to pay you and I'll get it out
> right away. garndt@artistryent.com

Hello,

I'll e-mail you tomorrow with the information. Please feel
free to wait until the kits are finished before sending payment.

Regards,

Brian
Update!
December 09, 2008 11:53PM
Tonight I received the rest of the tooling and ran off a batch of the 6x11mm bearings. Tomorrow night, I'll do the PTFE holders.

Regards,

Brian
Anonymous User
December 10, 2008 12:44AM
With that said, i'm in. There's just the consideration of transactions then.
December 10, 2008 02:02AM
Add me to the list for a kit. I will be paying for it as I do not have a working machine to print you any thing.
December 10, 2008 03:43PM
If you are still making these I would like to buy one (kit) from you as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login