Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can someone with an already built RepRap make parts for me?

Posted by Jordan Nagel 
Hey, I am 13 and trying to start a business, and a RepRap Darwin is about the closest to a factory I can get. Could anyone show some mercy and build some parts for me.I can pay for the materials needed, and some extra for the time, but it cannot exceed over $200 for the mechanical parts. Can anybody help?
Re: Can someone with an already built RepRap make parts for me?
May 30, 2009 05:52PM
Hi Jordan,

At the moment, a RepRap is in the 'Alpha' stage. Getting one working requires a lot of time and effort, and the easiest and safest way is to buy a kit (MakerBot [store.makerbot.com] or BitsFromBytes) which is about $750.

You can build one cheaper, but the bare-bones electronics, motors, and metal parts are probably in the $200+ range, before you add custom parts.

Most people on a budget start with a RepStrap - a simpler design that you can adjust to anything you can beg/borrow/scavenge - to keep costs down.

If you're interested in 3d-printing and building robots, this is the perfect project. You will learn a lot, and really feel a sense of achievement as it comes together.

If a reprap is just a means to an end (i.e. you're not interested in the RepRap, you just need it to make things to sell) then it's going to be as frustrating as hell: it will break down, be difficult to build, and probably be more effort than it's worth. Currently, I'm not sure that you could sell anything produced from a reprap without further work: the parts are functional, but don't look pretty just yet. Most people are fussy about the look of stuff they buy, even if it does the job perfectly well.

Good luck with your buisness, though. I hope it works out.

---
Reprapping blog and other rants: [renoirsrants.blogspot.com]
My Reprap: [sites.google.com]
May 30, 2009 09:34PM
Jordan,

As far as it goes, DaveR is absolutely correct. Now Vik Olivier and Simon McAuliffe who are down in New Zealand and myself are working on a second generation Reprap machine that should be much cheaper and hopefully much less frustrating than a Darwin to build and work with.

Why don't you tell us first what you plan on making with a Reprap machine for your business and give us an idea of what skills you currently have that you think would help you build a Reprap machine.

Starting a business at 13 is a pretty ambitious undertaking, that is, either ambitious or desperate or both. Can you give us an idea of what is driving you in that regard?

I've got a lot of spare parts around here and might be able to help you out.

If you'd rather not disclose this sort of information on the forum feel free to email me directly.

Best wishes,

Forrest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 09:34PM by Forrest Higgs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
May 31, 2009 10:37AM
Jordan,

Sorry, I hadn't noticed that my email address was hidden. I've made it public now.

Forrest

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
Hey, first, email change, second, I only need mechanical parts such as joints and belts...etc. I can make the circut boards and such.

Zuulthedestroyer@GMAIL.COM
I am VERY interested in this project. Especially the Second and Third generation. I am on a zero budget. But, I guess If I know how much, I can start working on doing this in the future. I am on a fixed income and very poor. But, I was recently able to get a lathe that I can add a milling machine attachment to. So, after I RipRap, I can machine (in theory, I am not a machinist.) I am a computer technician who has worked with the basic stamp 2 and the Arduino.

So, from what I am reading, this will cost me around a thousand dollars and may take up to two years or more for me to raise. But, I am STILL interested in it.

Thanks for your advice in advanced.

Oh, I forgot to say what I needed it for. I like to build Robots.

my email is: yhmmc@yahoo.com if any RipRap Veterans want to give me an email.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login