Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for RepRap parts in Australia

Posted by Cogsy 
Looking for RepRap parts in Australia
June 20, 2009 03:50AM
Hello All,

I've been gradually collecting and building all the electronic components for my own RepRap and have just begun looking to obtain the mechanical parts.

I'm looking for someone who can provide me with a set of printed parts for a Darwin. I am based in Canberra, Australia and would prefer they come from somewhere nearby, however I am prepared to pay for shipping from anywhere.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Regards,
Ben Coughlan
Amazing, I'm also from Canberra. This must be the fourth time this has happened to me on a forum - one of those chance coincidences is now one of my best friends.

Unfortunately, though, I don't have a RepRap, but I'm joining the call for RepRap parts in Canberra or nearby.
Hailing from Adelaide - and if anybody has stuff in Australia I'm happy smiling smiley
I'm in Cairns, and also looking for mechanical components. I've got all the electronic components and the motors, I'm just having a hard time trying to find anywhere that sells JUST the framework and such. I don't want to pay roughly AU$1500 (didn't it used to be a hell of a lot cheaper???) to buy the complete set up from Bits from Bytes when I've already got half of it smiling smiley
Re: Looking for RepRap parts in Australia
September 14, 2009 08:38AM
I'm from Canberra also! At this point I'm thinking of just buying a RepMan.
September 14, 2009 10:22PM
I am in Brisbane.

Got a reprap from bit from bytes V2.0.0
and the electronics from rrrf.org.

First thing I will be doing is printing another.

regards

Stephen
September 18, 2009 12:56PM
hi all
my name is mike i am in western austrlaia just found this awsome forum and this godsent machine i just finished building a cnc i can cut most parts out of ally or nylon plastic
if someone can supply the file in nc code
i would love to buildone of these, also the plans,the electronics can be bought from ocean controls in melb i got mine from there
any one can help

thanks mike
October 10, 2009 10:45PM
I'm in Melbourne Vic,

If anyones making parts in Oz I'd be interested in obtaining what ever is available.

Cheers

Oscar
There seems to be a common theme as to no availability of the mechanical parts here in Aus? I too have been looking for suppliers with no luck. Anyone have any ideas of where to get the mechanical parts from in Australia?

Trev
October 14, 2009 04:55AM
Would any of you be interested in organising a bulk order from a commercial fabricator/laser cutter?

It would technically make all our finished products repstraps but I'm ok with that at this point...
October 14, 2009 06:38PM
Interesting idea.

Might be worth while letting the latest reprap version settle down first though.
October 15, 2009 09:37AM
I would more than likely be in on a group buy depending on price and time to supply.
What would you think a minimum qty would need to be?

Oscar.
I think it's finally time, with the new "Mendel build", to order them as kits here from aussie suppliers.
How many of you are interested ?
If we can source the parts and electronics pcb's into say 10 machines it should be much cheaper in bulk (thanks cogsy smiling smiley then we all get the same parts to build test with, i'm mostly interested in the price.. assembly instructions look easy..
I'm not good with electronics but if someone (who is ordering one in the first batch is, I'm in then..!

Anyone know if there's a re-useable reprap extrudable material?

DavidB
Re: Sydney - Looking for RepRap parts in Australia
October 18, 2009 09:04PM
> Anyone know if there's a re-useable reprap extrudable material?
I think all the plastics can be reheated and reshaped. This is a sub project with the reprap.

The great hope for the reprap is PLA. This can be "brewed" from corn and reused / discared and left to rot.

> I'm not good with electronics but if someone (who is ordering one in the first batch is, I'm in then..!

Were you thinking
Gen 2 - which is non SMT (arduino)
Gen 3 - which is SMT (surfaface mount technology) and out of stock
or wait for Gen 4 which will probably be Arduino Mega.

I have Gen 2 on reorder after blowing up two steper drivers

Stephen
Re: Sydney - Looking for RepRap parts in Australia
October 19, 2009 07:09AM
I'm also in the throws of building an CNC machine and currently looking at combining the two in a single machine.

All the stepper driver and control circuitry is from Oatley Electronics in QLD and could be good for this project as well. it will run from any CAD - CNC - G code software. It is modular and well documented.

So I have two choices, a stand alone machine of which I will need printed components (which I will need to be in a group order for) or just the extruder head which I can bolt onto the Z axis of my CNC machine when finished.

So I will be following the group order progress closely.

Oscar
October 19, 2009 08:17AM
As a rider to my last post, for all of you who are thinking my CNC machine is missing a required axis (the stage to lower the material being extruded)

I have thought of that and I am looking at the possibility of making the XY axis lower through the CNC Machine bed. Or a screw arrangement that is mounted on/through the XY base and be controlled by a simple motor to raise/lower the extrusion.

Just an extra level of complexity to keep me from finishing anything.

Oscar.
October 24, 2009 05:24AM
It seems like I answer my own posts,

I have further modified the design of my CNC machine, the original only had provision for the z axis to be up or down as thats all I needed at the time. Now I have redesigned the axis like a standard CNC and will have a fully operational y axis with about 150mm travel and will look at mounting an extruder head to this.

More info and pictures as they come to hand.

Oscar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2009 05:25PM by Oscar Fox.
October 25, 2009 05:26AM
I bought recently a small CNC and I already bought the pieces in kit for making the extruder. I am using EMC2 on Linux for control my CNC.

There is a wiki page with information on how to do this --> EMCRepStrap.
November 09, 2009 03:15PM
I also am looking for parts (esp rp parts) I am also willing to donate lots of my first machines life to making parts @ cost to help out the aussies / those willing to pay shipping @ cost. Is this not the true spirit of the project???
November 19, 2009 03:21AM
I have to throw my hat to the ring. I am looking to construct a Mendal. I am based in Sydney and would happily assist others in printing reprap parts once up and running.

I have started down the road of sourcing the various component, but I really need to get hold of the printed parts. Is anybody able to assist?
November 19, 2009 08:05AM
I have just ordered 5 sets of extruder parts from the US. each kit contains the PTFE insulator and a brass heater body/nozzle.

I will be keeping one set for myself but the others are up for grabs. I will sell them for $22.00 plus postage.

Oscar
November 20, 2009 05:13AM
I'll be interested in one Oscar if still available.
am on the Gold Coast.

cheers

TG
November 20, 2009 07:01AM
Looks like I have interest from Fergus, Cogsy and That Guy for three of my four spare kits and I will contact them separately.

If anyone is interested in the last kit let me know ASAP, I will be bringing in more bits and pieces and more extruder kits in the future, but it will be more than likely as I need bits for myself

Cheers

Oscar.
Hailing from Canberra as well, I have just started researching hardware for construction of a Mendel.

Once complete I'm looking towards printing components for others and extending the design with a few ideas I've been cooking in my head for about two years.
November 20, 2009 06:11PM
Hi all,

If anyone is buying from makerbot let me know.
Would like to split the cost of postage and packing.

Live in Brisbane.

Stephen
November 22, 2009 09:08PM
hey oscar,
if you've still got a spare extruder kit i'm more than ahppy to take one off your hands. i'm in melbourne. i'm trying to build a mcwire, got the electronics from makerbot, and have a friend who's got a laser cnc, which is handy. want this up and running in the next few weeks.
cheers!
November 23, 2009 07:16AM
Thats The last one of the extruder kits claimed for this batch, I will contact each of you very soon as to payment and delivery details.

There seems to be enough interest to organise another delivery, so keep your eyes out if you're after a kit.

Oscar.
hello all i have found a guy in perth who has bussness selling reprap parts

rods belts steppers gen6 heated beds nuts and bolts and vitamin kits

his email scion_imports@msn.com

just tell him what you want he sells on ebay also
June 12, 2011 03:00PM
As usual, take unregistered users advertising with a lot of caution.
Hey guys,

Im from Western Sydney, Im looking for printered parts and prob other mechanical parts. I dont really want to pay bunnings prices for hardware. Any alternate suggested places would be good..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login