RepRap Parts in Virginia
August 28, 2009 11:28AM
After stumbling onto the RepRap and seeing this amazing alternative to the Fab@Home, I started a hunt for knowledge about the RepRap. However, I have not been able to find parts for one. Does anybody know if there are RepRap parts for sale in Virginia. I would also go to Maryland for parts if some were available there.

Thank You,

Joseph Barrow
Re: RepRap Parts in Virginia
August 28, 2009 04:17PM
Sorry, I don't know of any suppliers in the US but have you looked at the parts suppliers page on the reprap site RepRap Parts There are several organisations who can supply everything from parts to complete machines. with the price difference between for example the Bits from Bytes machine and Fab@home you would possibly be able to ship from the EU and still have some cash left over!
August 28, 2009 04:35PM
Hi Joe.

Many people have asked for parts.

Unfortunately, at the moment, it takes considerable effort and time to print off a complete set of parts for a reprap. Most of those with a working reprap are also working hard on their own projects and maintaining their own repraps, so have limited time and effort. This means that it often takes a personal connection to get the process started.

However, there are several sources of the parts:

You can buy a full kit (a slightly different version) from Makerbot:
[www.makerbot.com]

You can buy a Full kit from BitsFromBytes (uk)
[bitsfrombytes.com]

You can get the parts made from a 3-d printing service like Ponoko:
You can get parts lasercut by Ponoko:

Try and find a local lasercutting/3-d printing service and get the parts made locally.

Try and get together with a local school/college/university as they often have production facilities, like lasercutters.

If you have access to a CNC milling machine or 3-d positioning robot, get/build an extruder and mount that on the existing robot.

Or - the most work (but a lower cost) is to build a low-tech 3-d platform yourself and print out your own parts. This is called a 'RepStrap' solution - there are some basic plans, but they are often adapted to what is available or easily obtainable in your area. Check out the Builder's wiki:

[objects.reprap.org]

There are several RepStrap blogs, describing progress building RepStrap machines.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

---
Reprapping blog and other rants: [renoirsrants.blogspot.com]
My Reprap: [sites.google.com]
February 25, 2011 03:33PM
Hi Joe,

I know you posted this back in '09. But I was doing a search for parts in Maryland (where I live). Unfortunately, I haven't even gotten started on my RepRap but I figured since you are close by I'd try to make a connection as we might be able to help each other out.

Let me know if you receive this.

-Garrett
PJ
March 15, 2011 12:04PM
Hi Garett,

This is PJ from hartford, CT. How's your reprap coming along? I'm on a project at my work where i have to transform a smithy CNC machine to a rapid prototype. Let me know if you wanna connect and see if we could help each other out.

Rgds,
PJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login