Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

laser-cut thick sheet set

Posted by kymberlyaandrus 
laser-cut thick sheet set
March 10, 2010 09:00PM
I debated about listing these, but then I saw them for sale for $45.00. These are a high density birch plywood set that are laser-cut and I can sell them for $30 a set. I prefer paypal. Email me at kymberlyaandrus(at)yahoo.com for questions or shipping costs.

After rethinking this, I chose to make the build plate out of high density ply-wood with a inset aluminum plate. Next week I will raise the price to $34.50 to cover the additional cost of the aluminum plate, but anyone who orders by next Friday, March 17th, will get the $30.00 price. See the two new pictures for top and bottom view of the new build plate.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 03:13AM by kymberlyaandrus.
Attachments:
open | download - lasercutthicksheets.JPG (170.6 KB)
open | download - hybridaluminumbuildplatetop.JPG (37.4 KB)
open | download - hybridaluminumbuildplatebottom.JPG (38 KB)
Re: laser-cut thick sheet set
March 10, 2010 10:01PM
There have been noted issues with plywood for the build plate.

Can you cut MDF? If nut how about Acrylic?

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
March 10, 2010 10:18PM
Yes, I can do MDF for the same price. Matter of fact, I will make the build plate MDF on all orders and the rest of the pieces the high-density birch plywood
March 10, 2010 11:04PM
What thickness is it?

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
March 10, 2010 11:21PM
American Standard 1/4" which puts it at almost exactly 6mm
March 22, 2010 09:51PM
I just received these and they look great! Thanks!

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
March 24, 2010 09:32PM
I really must do research before impulse purchases off ebay. What are the problems with Plywood? Also what issues will be witnessed on Aluminum. Im curious. Aluminum is nice for heated surfaces, but what about unusually cold surfaces?

Thanks!
March 25, 2010 12:20AM
Cid,

There are probably many people who can give you a better, more complete answer than I can, but here is what I know.

Plywood, because how it is manufactured does not have highly consistent thickness, which means that the surface is not perfectly flat (not that any surface is perfectly flat, but plywood varies more than is desirable for this project) MDF is a pressed product, so its surfaces are more consistently flat, Acrylic may or may not be more flat, depending upon how it is manufactured, but it is USUALLY more flat.

The aluminum is nice for heated beds, and with that logic this set includes the aluminum sheet, since aluminum is relatively expensive to machine to a specific shape, we are using a hybrid, which allows us to use a simple rectangular piece of aluminum, with the corners sanded off.

Since the aluminum, when at room temperature, is the same temperature as other surfaces, it shouldn't pose much of a greater problem with using than other materials, it does however conduct heat faster than most non metallic surfaces, so it will cool the object down quicker (which may lead to more warping).

I use a 120v AC heater element from a freezer (the automatic defroster) connected with a solid state relay and a small processor to monitor the temperature and do PWM as a heated bed with this. I intend to redesign it a bit (to make it reliable and more readily accessible) and offer a heated bed kit to attach to this in the future, but in the meanwhile, there are several good, simple designs out there that can take advantage of that aluminum plate to make a heated bed.
March 25, 2010 06:02PM
> The aluminum is nice for heated beds, and with
> that logic this set includes the aluminum sheet,
> since aluminum is relatively expensive to machine
> to a specific shape, we are using a hybrid, which
> allows us to use a simple rectangular piece of
> aluminum, with the corners sanded off.
>
> Since the aluminum, when at room temperature, is
> the same temperature as other surfaces, it
> shouldn't pose much of a greater problem with
> using than other materials, it does however
> conduct heat faster than most non metallic
> surfaces, so it will cool the object down quicker
> (which may lead to more warping).
>
> I use a 120v AC heater element from a freezer (the
> automatic defroster) connected with a solid state
> relay and a small processor to monitor the
> temperature and do PWM as a heated bed with this.
> I intend to redesign it a bit (to make it reliable
> and more readily accessible) and offer a heated
> bed kit to attach to this in the future, but in
> the meanwhile, there are several good, simple
> designs out there that can take advantage of that
> aluminum plate to make a heated bed.

Uau! Someone providing an Heated Bed for RepRap Mendel would be great!

---
New cutting edge RepRap electronics, ARM 32 bits @ 100MHz runs RepRap @ 725mm/s:

[www.3dprinting-r2c2.com]
I have orderd this kit, fast shipping and great quality, i would recomend it! especially because i plan to add a heated bed within a few weeks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login