• CNC-cut parts (replace the RP parts)
  • Belts
  • Pulleys
  • Y carriage (AKA the Squished Frog)
  • Purge plate

You have to provide:
  • Electronics
  • Extruder
  • Hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, bearings, rods) (less hardware than the original Mendel design)
  • Motors
  • Remaining thick sheets

We're selling here.

Discussion Thread
Isaac-Mendel Blog
Sources and Documentation (coming soon)

Edit 2010-04-28: price update

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 06:45PM by tbfleming.
Re: Isaac is up for sale
April 03, 2010 07:38PM
Something that is not mentioned on your page, on the wiki or here is if this is metric or imperial?

This of course changes the price of the hardware in various places, and I know that some people, especially outside the US, will not buy imperial even if it is available to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 07:39PM by Cefiar.
April 03, 2010 07:45PM
Yep, we should have mentioned that. It's metric. We plan to do an imperial one eventually because that reduces the cost of hardware in the U.S.

Todd
April 03, 2010 09:46PM
Are you already sold out?

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
April 04, 2010 09:56AM
I sent you a PM.
April 10, 2010 01:20PM
We sent out our first shipments this morning! We have most of the parts produced for a couple more kits, so we expect to be able to ship new orders out quickly.

I'm working on cleaning up the Alibre assembly files and hope to have them posted today on the Wiki. I also hope to have a hardware list up today or tomorrow. Documentation is still in the works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 01:36PM by tbfleming.

Todd

---
Isaac Mendel: a CNCed RepStrap
Attachments:
open | download - kit.JPG (97.4 KB)
April 19, 2010 03:21PM
I ordered a kit last week and it has already arrived! All the parts seem to be there, and they did a really nice packing job. Now just waiting on the mechanical parts, and the building can begin.
April 26, 2010 05:51AM
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the whole RepRap scene and I am currently considering to build a Mendel.
Therefore I'm clearly not experienced enough to determine the 'long term' effects of going for the Isaac instead of an original Mendel in terms of what existing help/electronics/etc... i could reuse. --> ???

I don't even know what material those parts are made of. (3 years ago I build a 6 legged walking robot using 'Lexan') Is that mostly wood? How does it compare in terms of durability to those 'original' PLA/ABS parts?

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,
Nicolas
April 26, 2010 08:56AM
The materials that we are currently using consists of Trex (a recycled wood and plastic product) for the larger parts and HDPE for the smaller. Both are very rigid and should last a long time. When they fail you can print replacements just as for the original. You can even replace them, and axis at a time, with the original if you add hardware (nuts/bolts, not electronics).

I know of one person who has bought individual axis parts from us and is using it in conjunction with original style axis. Maybe someone who has bought a kit con jump in on quality/durability/design opinions.

As far as most everything else goes, it shares the same size and lengths of rods/nuts/bolts/electronics just much less of all of it. I'll attach a BOM so that you can compare it to the original. The resulting print area is identical as are all the critical dimensions. As I said you could replace them an axis at a time.

Existing help consists of me and my brother until others finish their kits. We are fanatical about supporting this and will do whatever is required to make sure your build goes well. I'm pushing hard this week to produce better documentation and exploded views (sample attached) of everything for easier reference.

Brett
Attachments:
open | download - CompleteAssembly.csv (1.6 KB)
open | download - Z-Motor-Base-Step1 - Exploded2.png (83 KB)
April 26, 2010 02:22PM
Hi Brett,

thanks a lot for the information.

I really like that I could transform it into a 'original' Mendel.

So to conclude:
So what you are doing is similar to those 'Complete Laser Cut RepRap Mendel w/Electronics Kit' (except you don't sell the metal and electronics stuff, which btw makes it a lot more interesting for somebody new like me!), mechanically slightly differing from the 'original' Mendel, so that they can be made with a CNC machine, while one can use 'original' electronics, motors, software to either convert it into a 'original' Mendel or just print a new one.

Best Regards,
Nicolas
April 27, 2010 12:51PM
You summary is correct, and it is similar to the Laser one which just recently came out.

We will start offering other bundles as time permits but you can already build an Isaac cheaper than the current price of the Laser one. You could build either a lot cheaper if you know someone with a CNC machine or Laser cutter though smiling bouncing smiley.

---
Isaac: a CNCed Mendel Derived RepStrap
FlemingCNC
April 28, 2010 05:21PM
I stand corrected on the price. The going rate is $210 for the laser cut Mendel so we've adjusted our price to match at $240 which includes all the pulleys and belts which would cost you around $50 to buy anyways spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
April 28, 2010 06:56PM
To further encourage new members to join the community, every once in a while we'll offer up a no-reserve auction on eBay for one of our kits.

The eBay Auction is here.

Good luck smiling bouncing smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login