Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Stores: web site/online store hosting

Posted by jeffpark_ 
RepRap Stores: web site/online store hosting
April 13, 2010 04:42PM
I've set up a "community" ecommerce site at www.reprapstores.com. The main goal is to provide web store hosting with many products and blog style capabilities much easier and far less expensive than setting up your own website.

RepRap Stores Community Shop is a new host for multiple vendors to sell parts and allows RepRappers to find what they need quickly. All products will be displayed in one conglomerated catalog for easy end-user browsing.

Features

RepRap Stores will host your products, handle website maintenance, payment gateways and provide technical support. You can list as many products as you like and there is no limit on how much you can sell. You can also create blog entries and online instruction manuals using a WYSIWYG editor directly on the website. If you need help, a real person will be available to help you set up your account.

We will provide you with a complete ecommerce solution including order processing and fulfillment, customized sales reports and inventory management.

For more information see: [www.reprapstores.com]

If you would like to sell parts, see [www.reprapstores.com]

For question and concerns please contact RepRap Stores, or leave a comment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2010 11:22AM by jeffpark_.

----
[www.binaryconstruct.com]
Re: web site/online store hosting
April 15, 2010 01:02PM
How exactly would this be better than a google checkout store?

No fees 2% commission?

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
April 15, 2010 04:19PM
I think the store is a great idea. The forums isn't the best place to post your wares, and it allows almost one stop shopping from lots of people. I wish them the best of luck and I may try hosting some parts there in the future. smileys with beer

To be fair Google Checkout is closer to 3% in reality. The store's fee (1%?) is to cover hosting, shopping carts, etc. An added benefit being probably more overall traffic than sellers would otherwise get on there own.

I can easily see someone going there to buy a cheap extruder, and then finding Spacexula's instead >grinning smiley<

I wish they would support letting sellers use Google Checkout though as I'm not partial to PayPal.
April 16, 2010 05:59AM
Jeff,

Glad to see you've gone live! Hope it goes well. smiling smiley

There's a chance RepRap may do this at some point:
[reprap.org]
But it is currently vaporware. And the more successful your project is, the less likely we are to run "Tender". (That said, there is always a tiny chance that we will.)

If I can ask a favor, could you make sure that the stuff getting sold via the auction site is documented? Preferably in the wiki?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2010 06:00AM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 16, 2010 12:07PM
bfleming
I'm working on adding Google Checkout support, the code is a little wonky to get it done as everything in the cms I am using is geared for paypal. Hopefully I will have it set up in the near future.

Sebastien,
I've added a line to the "Become a Vendor" requesting that all part designs be made available on the wiki, and once I create a "Terms" page I'll add it there too.

Thanks for the support!
Jeff

----
April 16, 2010 02:17PM
Also, as a full vendor account wouldn't make sense for some people (e.g. you are selling a one-off printed kit) I've added a tiered structure. I tried to keep it simple.

See RepRap Stores Seller Roles for details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2010 01:38PM by jeffpark_.

----
April 16, 2010 06:20PM
Jeff - just a quick question. Did you mean "seller rolls" or "seller roles"?

Buzz
April 19, 2010 01:38PM
hmmm..must have been hungry

----
April 27, 2010 02:23PM
"USPS/Flat Rate Shipping (More coming soon)"

I hope that some kind of table-based shipping comes too.
I couldnĀ“t use that because shipping from Germany would not
make any sense as flat-rate (I could offer shipping to Germany
cheaper then shipping into the EU+Swizerland then shipping worldwide)

I am missing some point about defining sales tax in the features.

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
May 11, 2010 11:07AM
Currently the site is not very global-friendly, but I would like to change this.

I hope to add custom tax/shipping features where each seller can set individual shipping and tax rates to each country/state. It is still code in progress, but I will keep this updated.

If you have suggestions, such as table rate shipping, please post them and I'll compile a list. My goal for RepRap Stores is to be a convenient place for people to buy/sell RepRap parts, and input from the community has a lot of weight.

Thanks,
Jeff

----
May 11, 2010 11:41AM
The way OsCommerce does it seems to work just fine for many people.

Create groups of countries/States (with things like "EU" and "USA" and "ALL" pre-defined)
Then select a group and give them a percentage for customs or a list of
maxweight:price;maxweight:price;... -pairs.

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login