I have just put another full set of RepRap Mendel plastic parts on Ebay:

[cgi.ebay.com]

Happy bidding!

Best wishes

Adrian
Re: Full set of RepRap Mendel parts
April 17, 2010 03:33AM
Hi,

I'm very new here (only just registered), but had seen the RepRap a couple of years or so ago. Having studied mechanical engineering and being a software developer by trade, this kind of device appeals.

I am trying to figure out the costs and approach to build myself a RepRap and have seen that both you and NopHead are selling complete Mendel sets on Ebay. These are currently in the region of £200-£300 before shipping and the auctions have still got many days to run.

On the RepRap site and the BOM is says that a RepRap can be built for under £500. (Actually c 350 Euros is a quoted figure). How would this be possible if the RP parts come to more than 50% of that? In the BOM, the RP parts are quoted at £20?

Thanks,
Craig
April 17, 2010 05:06AM
On the RepRap site and the BOM is says that a RepRap can be built for under £500. (Actually c 350 Euros is a quoted figure). How would this be possible if the RP parts come to more than 50% of that? In the BOM, the RP parts are quoted at £20?

Well, if you like, you can buy Adrian's parts at £300, build your Mendel, and sell a set for £300, so that the parts will have paid for themselves.

Or you can sell the parts you print for £20, if you like. Wade Bortz famously gave a set to some students for the price of a case of beer.

Or you can make the plastic parts out of wood, or metal. Or build a RepStrap out of wood or metal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2010 05:09AM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 17, 2010 06:06AM
Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for the response.

I can understand the logic you've used, but it does mean that I need the £300 up front to start off don't I.

I will be taking the approach of trying to make some parts from wood. Will no doubt need to buy the extruder bits (or MakerBot kit), as that seems to be the difficult bit.

I was just wondering how the numbers added up. Using your logic, I suppose one could argue that the machine is free as if you sell enough sets of parts then you can recoup all your investment.

I've just spent a bunch of time sourcing the fixings, bars, etc and can see that these can be sourced for less (not much, but a worthwhile amount of pounds less) than the prices quoted in the BOM. Some of that should go towards buying an extruder.

Currently I'm at about £180 for hardware, £150 for electronics, £50 for steppers, Extruder unknown, RP bits unknown (or at least £300 on Ebay).

It hasn't put me off, but does mean it'll take me longer a I save up.

Thanks to Adrian and the core team for the design!!!!
April 29, 2010 09:04AM
CraigRK Wrote:
> On the RepRap site and the BOM is says that a
> RepRap can be built for under £500. (Actually c
> 350 Euros is a quoted figure). How would this be
> possible if the RP parts come to more than 50% of
> that? In the BOM, the RP parts are quoted at
> £20?

They vastly understate the usual prices these parts
get on ebay of about 300eur or 500USD in the BOM.
Sure, for someone I know os the local hacker-club
people make sets for £20 but there´s just so much
demand for parts that this is not the price they
go for at the moment in free play of supply and demand.

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
April 29, 2010 10:57AM
Marcus,

You're right, thanks for confirming my understanding.

To be honest, I can see why the parts are achieving these prices. I've spent a substantial amount of time reading Nophead's blog and the other core team efforts. They have put a lot of effort in and people who want sets of parts are prepared to pay a premium to get them.

My point was just that the BOM shouldn't underestimate current market rates as it could put people off. A set of parts at £300 is beyond my current budget, but I'll still achieve the goal by making what I can out of wood, etc until I am able to print my own set (or find a helpfull soul locally from whom I can get a cheaper set which is perhaps made as test pieces of his/her build).

Craig
April 29, 2010 11:38AM
CraigRK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Marcus,
>
> You're right, thanks for confirming my
> understanding.
>
> To be honest, I can see why the parts are
> achieving these prices.

Simple economics.
There are people willing to pay that much.

But it will get better in time with every RepRap
out there, there are more people printing parts.
That just takes time to show an effect.

* Blog
* Google+
I want to purchase the full set parts of RepRap Mendel. Can anyone help me?
April 30, 2010 06:02AM
Benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want to purchase the full set parts of RepRap
> Mendel. Can anyone help me?

Yes. This auction ended. You should look at the other threads here
for an auction that is still open.
This forum seems to work as 1 thread 1 offer and if that 1 offer is
sold, the thread ends.

* Blog
* Google+
April 30, 2010 09:12AM
Best bet is to put reprap in ebay atm
im interested in buying full kit , with everything that i possibly need to build my mendel , and start to work with itsmiling smiley , does anybody supply , ready to build kits with all; electronics, plastic, wires, basicly i want whole machine in the box tongue sticking out smiley i would like to have fun of building it , but running after parts i simply dont have time , my woman would do a lot of nasty things to me if i would do so, so please help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login