Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TinyFan RAMPS Fan Expansion Board

Posted by Chris-Aus3D 
TinyFan RAMPS Fan Expansion Board
August 30, 2015 01:12AM
Hi guys,

I wanted to let you know about a fan expansion board I’ve developed for RAMPS. It’s a really basic / simple board, it adds two extra MOSFET outputs to RAMPS to allow for control of a few extra fans.

It’s basically equivalent to the RepRap Discount Fan Extender that’s been floating around out there, but seeing as I couldn’t find the source for it I thought an open-source solution would be handy. All source schematic / PCB / gerber files are available on GitHub under a GPL V3 license.

Here are the details for these boards – nothing too fancy, but they’re really handy if you’re out of MOSFETS:
  • 2 PWM Controllable Channels (D6 and D11 on RAMPS)
  • Vin: 5-25V
  • Max. Current: 3.5A / channel
  • Flyback diode on each channel
  • Indicator LED for each channel
  • Dimensions: 15.5x15.5mm

I tried to make these boards as plug-and-play as possible. They plug straight onto RAMPS, and accept power through a screw-terminal – the idea being that you can run short wires from the input terminal to the RAMPS main power screw terminals, making setup straightforward – no need to solder anything (unless you want to, of course!).

The fairly high current capacity means these boards could also be useable for things other than fans – LED strips, or even a small heating element. I successfully tested a board running a 12V 40W ceramic cartridge heater without running into any problems – although RAMPS’s default MOSFETs are probably a better choice!

Fan control is through pins D6 / D11, firmware configuration is the same as the RRD board – I’ve written up details about setting up the firmware, along with a bunch of other info, here.

I’ve got these boards available for sale on Aus3D if anyone wants to grab one. Anyone who wants to make their own board is more than welcome to, whether it be for personal or commercial use.

Links:
TinyFan Wiki Page
TinyFan GitHub Page

Re: TinyFan RAMPS Fan Expansion Board
September 25, 2015 03:33AM
Hi everyone! Bit of an update here - I was hoping to edit the first post, but it looks like that's not possible. Apologies for the bump!

Got a few things to mention - first off, someone suggested I should include images of TinyFan in operation (to show mounting / wiring), so those images are here (and also on the Wiki page):

Next up, and a little bit more exciting, I wanted to share a new fan board with you - MightyFan! MightyFan is TinyFan's big brother - it works the same way, but has four channels instead of two - so if you wanted to run a fan for each HotEnd, plus one for the print and another for the electronics, MightyFan can do the job.

I designed MightyFan to make my life easier, and I'm hopeful it helps someone else out too. Full documentation is available here, along with all the technical specs and the firmware setup guide. As with TinyFan, MightyFan is open-source under the GPL V3 with the source files available on GitHub. If you're interested in buying a MightyFan board, check the Aus3D store page.

That's it for me for now. Uh, maybe someone should say something before I show up in a few weeks with an 8 channel fan board... this could get ridiculous quickly. Anyway, thanks to everyone who grabbed a TinyFan board - I appreciate the support, and I hope they're doing well for you.

Links:
MightyFan Wiki Page
MightyFan GitHub Page
MightyFan Store Page

I'm the owner of Aus3D, an Australian business that aims to make 3D printing more affordable for all. We've recently launched our new Mark2 3D Printer Kits - check them out!
November 09, 2015 03:07AM
These look very handy. One question: with the smaller board, do you loose usage of all servo pins?

Thanks,

- crussty
November 09, 2015 03:51AM
Hi Crussty, thanks for your interest!

The third and fourth rows of servo pins (D5 and D4) are still accessible. D5 is a bit of a squeeze against the board, but a connector will just fit without causing problems. D4 is no worries.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

Regards,
-Chris

I'm the owner of Aus3D, an Australian business that aims to make 3D printing more affordable for all. We've recently launched our new Mark2 3D Printer Kits - check them out!
November 11, 2015 02:15PM
Nice products. A shame how it blocks some pins though as I really need most of them for sensors and boards and stuff.

I would love to see one with fan outputs on the underside of the pcb with horizontal connectors to reduze Z-height of the assembly.

Keep up the good Work!
January 17, 2016 06:38AM
one solution would to use 4 pin stackable through pin connectors
lifting the board up so the other connectors fit under the board
Attachments:
open | download - s-l225.jpg (9.6 KB)
January 17, 2016 07:00AM
Intrested in the MightyFan but the postage is nearly the price of the boardconfused smiley
UK
January 17, 2016 10:09AM
Suggy
Intrested in the MightyFan but the postage is nearly the price of the boardconfused smiley
UK
Yea.. I bought one and split shipping with a friend, as he could use the IR height sensor they also sell, which comes with "ears" to Mount on E3D fans smiling smiley

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
January 18, 2016 06:52AM
Suggy
one solution would to use 4 pin stackable through pin connectors
lifting the board up so the other connectors fit under the board

That's an interesting idea, thanks!

Suggy
Intrested in the MightyFan but the postage is nearly the price of the board confused smiley
UK

Yeah, sorry about that. I've been trying to sort out cheaper shipping, but that's the best I can get it for the time being.

If you shoot me a PM with your shipping address I can double check, make sure that's the best possible option.

dintid
Yea.. I bought one and split shipping with a friend, as he could use the IR height sensor they also sell, which comes with "ears" to Mount on E3D fans smiling smiley

Thanks for your business! Sorry to hear you had to go to a bit of trouble to organise things to be affordable, I will keep looking into the shipping situation. It seems whether it's shipping things in or out, Australia really enjoys making the process expensive.

Hope you've been getting good use out of the fan board, and I hope your friend is enjoying the IR sensor. Let me know if there's ever anything I can help you with!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login