Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[UK] £299 Full 3d printer reprap kits April 2011

Posted by progomez 
Hi

I wish to pre-order a full kit, please get in touch when it becomes available.

Ash
Me too.
I am definitely interested in the full kit when it is complete. Best of luck in your continuing construction.
Re: [UK] £299 Full 3d printer reprap kits April 2011
April 19, 2011 04:31PM
Its coming along as planned. Just making sure its a quality product.

In regards a larger build area, my main aim is to make something which is large enough to be useful but small enough to sit on a computer table, maybe in a living room.

You could use this to build a mendal for when you need a bigger build area. The only extra outlay would be the cost of the metal frame with the idea of utilising the electronics for both when needed. So you could effectively have two systems for no more then £500.

edit: Regards the heated bed, there will be one but I dont know if it would be possible for it to be included for £299(costing is tight at the moment). It will however include a display in the standard kit.

Anyway should still be ready by the end of april.

I will probably limit the first orders depending on demand.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 05:32PM by progomez.
April 19, 2011 05:49PM
Great to hear that things are coming along smiling smiley
For 300 quid, I think you'll get quite some demand. I'm certainly very interested.

I've taken a look at the ultimaker, and noticed that is uses a Bowden extruder. Do you plan to do the same?
April 19, 2011 08:19PM
It will be using a carriage mounted extruder as this is tried and tested with minimal problems.

People will be able to change out the extruder for other heads, for example a dremel flexishaft, or a dual bowden extruder.

I just want to get the standard kit in good quality at an affordable price.
April 20, 2011 01:33AM
and i think that a standard kit will not include heated bed...
I would love one too!
April 21, 2011 10:58AM
I'm interested - how is the design coming along?
April 23, 2011 04:11PM
Hello I am interested in your full kits. How much would they be in United States dollars? Where would the money be sent. In what form check money order or what? Shipping costs etc. I am also a bit leery since at the price you are quoting is so much lower than anything I see around.
April 23, 2011 04:54PM
I'm assuming it would naturally be through an online payment processor such as Paypal, Google checkout, LR, WMZ, etc as opposed to check or money order.

And £299 = $494

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 04:56PM by ataraxia00.
April 23, 2011 06:07PM
You are correct. I will probably use Paypal for ease of use.

Pricing up delivery companies at the moment as will be using a signed for service for added protection.

I am still considering doing a non electronics and motor set (including extruder and hot end though)which may be better for international customers. Motors are quite heavy.

One iteration I am also considering is doing a fully built and painted plug and play setup for ~£500+PP.

By fully built I mean it would be a case of removing the packaging and plugging it in. You would however install the open source software.

Any thoughts on this?
April 23, 2011 07:51PM
I definitely think there's a market for delivering fully-assembled printers - there are many people who will have been put off by having to source parts to assemble their own printer. I reckon you're taking a step in the right direction - it widens the scope for potential buyers winking smiley

As far as the heated bed and larger build area are concerned - do you have any plans to offer a larger kit for a higher price point (independently of the £300 kit)? I know you said we could use the kit to print off the plastic parts for a mendel, but I'd prefer to just have the one printer from the start...

Anyway, thanks for the progress updates and replies to all the queries!
April 30, 2011 06:01AM
An update:

I am just testing the new extruder at the moment. I was slightly delayed whilst waiting for parts but am nearing a completed £299 design.

The machine is quite solid and will probably, as originally thought, be able to mill pcbs(with a dremel flexishaft).

I will be posting pictures and video soon along with preorder details,4-6 weeks as made to order in batches, in the next week.

Also I will be setting up a forum before the shipping of the first orders for any tech support questions and feedback.
April 30, 2011 10:50PM
Well it is the end of April. where will some of the pictures be up and where they can be seen.
definitely intrested, ill keep track of this forum smiling smiley
May 04, 2011 07:03PM
Hello,

an update:

As stated before I am testing a simple extruder but am now waiting for some more 1.75mm filament.

If I were to use a wade extruder and standard hotend I could open prorders this week but feel that a simpler extruder design would be better for the wider market. Any thoughts? The one Im working on is a direct feed carriage mounted extruder. I did think of using a bowden design but it wasnt necessary given the strength of the axis.

The design sans extruder is working pretty well and quite solid, yet simple.

There will be a site, videos and pictures but wanted to make sure that each component is solid.

I know I said April, and if I went with a wade design extruder and hotend, it would have been but I hope the final version is worth the extra few days wait.

ps: anyone in the notts area with any spare 1.75mm filament to sell which I could pick up asap?
May 04, 2011 07:14PM
... videos and pictures but wanted to make sure that each component is solid.
Please let me know if you have any trouble contributing cad files, text, and photos to the wiki. grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2011 11:31PM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
May 11, 2011 06:10AM
Progomez, can we have an update please? Eagerly waiting to see what you've come up with..

As Sebastien said, if you need help with anything, feel free to ask. I work with Solidworks daily in my job and would be happy to contribute 3D models, or even assembly instructions when I receive a kit tongue sticking out smiley
May 13, 2011 02:48PM
Just a picture to give a better idea of what I am going to be offering shortly.

As I said before it uses four nema 17s, three for the axis and one for the extruder. It has linear bearings on all axis with t2.5 belts on the x and y and trapezoidal spindle on the z.

It is built using 18mm mdf and is held together with m6 allen key bolts. This makes it solid enough to use with a dremel for making pcbs and maybe modelling wax/foam. An attachment will be offered later, probably as a free set of 3d models to be printed on it.

I am still testing the extuder I'm developing but am waiting on some more filament. It may be initially sold with either a wade extruder or bowden just so I can start shipping.

A website is going up in the next few days with preorder information.

Thanks

Richard

edit: note it will be offered in the kit in unpainted mdf and fully built in a choice of colours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2011 02:51PM by progomez.
May 13, 2011 02:56PM
Awesome - that looks really cool Prog smiling smiley
May 13, 2011 08:49PM
Wow looks great! I didn't see the post about the LCD - I take it you added SD card support then smiling smiley
Can't wait to see it print, well done!
Looks amazing when is your website going to be up and running?
May 14, 2011 09:08AM
Hopefully the site will be up in the next few days. The lcd is used at the moment for displaying temp etc. Sd card support will be added later as wasnt viable for the price. Thats not to say that owners of the kit cant add it themselves as the ramps board has the pins for it.
how much would shipping to the netherlands cost? Or is it cheaper to plan a trip to the UK?smiling bouncing smiley
May 16, 2011 08:11AM
Hi Bas,

still finalising shipping costs. Getting quotes.

richard
May 18, 2011 12:11PM
Hey, this looks really interesting, any thoughts on postage to Ireland?
May 19, 2011 11:35AM
I suggest you wait to see the videos and site which is being designed to give you a better idea of the quality of the product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 07:39AM by progomez.
I don't see any video's?
May 19, 2011 03:40PM
Don't forget to stuff some cad files in here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Sumpod_3Dgrinning smiley

Doing the cad files as a last step that keeps getting put off results in lots of drama.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login