Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Buying fully assembled RepRap or ShaperCube

Posted by ataraxia00 
Buying fully assembled RepRap or ShaperCube
April 20, 2011 10:31PM
This is my first post here. I have been browsing for ~3 weeks, but I am still looking for a printer.

I am looking for a Reprap or a ShaperCube. I am not picky on the model, but it can not be a MakerBot due to the fact that the print area is not large enough.

There are only a few requirements I have:
1. Must be located in the US or Canada.
2. Must be fully assembled, working, and willing to demonstrate that the printer is indeed in working condition.
3. I will be driving to pick up and pay for the printer in person, hence the USA/Canada requirement. I am located in Michigan, so I would prefer East of Texas, but if you do live further West then that would be acceptable, but not preferable.

Please post here or PM me if you have anything, I would be able to make the trip in about a week (have to finish up university exams).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2011 10:31PM by ataraxia00.
Re: Buying fully assembled RepRap or ShaperCube
April 21, 2011 12:13AM
It would be much cheaper/more fun/educational to build your own.

-Steve
April 21, 2011 12:17AM
While I do look forward to building my own in the future, I have serious time-constraints currently and require a 3d printer within the next 2-3 weeks. Most of what I have read says that it takes quite a lot of time to build a RepRap not including shipping times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 12:18AM by ataraxia00.
April 21, 2011 04:10AM
@tesla

Cheaper if you do not factor in your time costs... If I included my time then woo - I would be spending loads!!!

@Ataraxia - a working printer within 3 weeks!!?? Maybe you would be better off subcontracting your required prints out to a pro establishment? FWIW although my printer is working I still have a lot of downtime due to various issues that crop up. I certainly would not depend on a Reprap for mission critical tasks at this stage...

Having said that, there are those that have managed to tune their machines into very reliable ones, but that is having put a lot of time into the task.

My 2p

smiling smiley
April 21, 2011 04:21AM
I am located in Michigan.
Talk to Tim Schmidt, with the Michigan RepRap User Group. He may know someone local who's willing to sell their built machine and use the proceeds to buy the parts to build one or two kits. Or someone with a Prusa may decide they're a print service bureau until you're up and running. Or rent, or etc.

Ping him in IRC or in Michigan-RUG's mailing list.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
April 21, 2011 04:27AM
You could buy an Up! 3D Printer.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 21, 2011 01:11PM
@AgeingHippy

I am aware I may have to troubleshoot, I am just looking to get most of the time consuming work out of the way so that I can focus on the printing rather than building.

@Sebation

Thanks for the suggestion, I just contacted him.

@rhmorrison

I actually did see that site yesterday and it is pretty much perfect however it is more than three times the price of a RepRap. Preferably I would be able to find someone with a RepRap. If I am unsuccessful I can always order one.

One quick question, most of the printed items I see are very flexible. Is it possible to print a hard plastic item with these printers? Obviously I would image it is possible but what type of filament would I purchase?

Thanks for all the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 01:12PM by ataraxia00.
April 21, 2011 01:43PM
ataraxia00
...most of the printed items I see are very flexible. Is it possible to print a hard plastic item with these printers? Obviously I would image it is possible but what type of filament would I purchase?

Most of the 3D printed items that you see on Thingiverse that are printed using a MakerBot, RepMan, RepRap or UP! 3D Printer are printed using ABS or PLA. This is hard plastic and not very flexible (and very strong). You can purchase PLA that is somewhat soft but it is not the norm. ABS is what lego bricks are made out of. How flexible do you think they are?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 21, 2011 06:23PM

rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Most of the 3D printed items that you see on Thingiverse that are printed using a MakerBot, RepMan, RepRap or UP! 3D Printer are printed using ABS or PLA. This is hard plastic and not very flexible (and very strong). You can purchase PLA that is somewhat soft but it is not the norm. ABS is what lego bricks are made out of. How flexible do you think they are?
Alright, so I need ABS plastic. I've been reading all I can and looking at makergear.com as well for any upgrades as well. I am looking at their 0.25mm nozzles and a heated platform as well. Are there any other upgrades you guys would recommend?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 06:37PM by ataraxia00.
April 22, 2011 01:41PM
If your that desperate I will sell you one of my machines for the going rate:

$900 My Makerbot with acme rods and a Brutstruder, this machine has printed 30+ RepRap and not had a breakdown in over 4 months.

or

$1500 one of my Prusa Mendels (The pink one or the black one), fully operational. I have already sold one assembled and I had the guy printing 2 hours after he opened the box.

What ever you want dude, just let me know

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
April 22, 2011 05:24PM
Where are you located?

Does your Mendel have any mods? I was reading your blog just now and on the 2nd page you go over the various 3d printer options. It states that the Up! printer has a 1.75 filament stepper extruder, later you state that Prusa Mendel is "only kit printer to offer 1.75 filament option." Does this mean that the Mendel will print as fine as the Up! printer, and does your printer have that option?

Feel free to post here or PM me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2011 05:42PM by ataraxia00.
April 30, 2011 05:04AM
I am still looking for a printer is anyone has one available. I have cash on hand and am willing to travel to pick it up.
May 28, 2011 01:38AM
I'm going to bump this because I'm still in search of a fully assembled 3d printer.
May 30, 2011 10:18AM
Didn't Spacexula offer to sell his to you???
June 10, 2011 04:08AM
I not want to spoil 'someones' business opportunity in privately selling a mendel but you can order from [botmill.com]
The 'glider' is basically a mendel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login