Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

a few small darwin parts needed

Posted by liav 
a few small darwin parts needed
December 01, 2009 09:44PM
Hi. I just got my z axis running smooth and then discovered that I was out of bearing inserts and circlips. I'm also missing the footspacer, but I can live without that. I'm in Toronto, Ontario. If someone could get me two bearing inserts (360 jam) and two circlips, I'd be able to finish mechanical assembly (w00t!)

(BTW, I contacted a sevice centre in town and got a quote of ~$140 (after tax) for the job, which is about 5cc of ABS. So, no, I suspect I won't be going that way.)

If you might be able to help, drop me a line -- I'm more than happy to cover material and shipping costs.

Cheers,
L
Re: a few small darwin parts needed
December 01, 2009 11:08PM
Just send me a PM, and attach the STL files of the parts you want printed.

-Geert
December 02, 2009 12:31PM
The circlips never worked for me, so I didn't print them, sorry. smiling smiley My PLA machine doesn't seem to need them, and I used zip ties on the old cast Darwin. So far they've held up fine.

Here's a shot: [gallery.me.com]

The bearings tend to need a lot of carving to fit, so on the PLA machine I just dunked the bearing inserts in boiling water, squished them into the bearing block, then drilled them out to size. So far so good, but I don't have many miles on them yet. Greasing the Y idler pulleys and not the bearings keeps the Y idler rod from turning and slipping as well.

Have a good one! Sounds like you're almost done!

Wade
December 09, 2009 09:33AM
I found nylon spacers at a hardware store that were close to the right size for the bearing inserts. I had to drill out the inner hole to the correct size and drill out the hole in the part to match the nylon spacers (using a drill press). When I got everything fitting nicely, I put a little bit of super glue on the outside of the nylon spacers and pushed them into position.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login