Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Allegro A3949 Wanted

Posted by Milly 
Allegro A3949 Wanted
December 01, 2010 10:10AM
Hi,

I'm in the process of building an extruder controller board and require 2 Allegro A3949 IC's, I can only find them available from the US with a £15 postal charge! As they are the only two outstanding items I require I'd really rather avoid this excessive cost. Does anyone know a stockist, European based, that can supply these? Or maybe someone has some spare that they would be willing to part with for some money!

Regards,

Milly.
Re: Allegro A3949 Wanted
December 02, 2010 08:39AM
Hey Milly

If you are not too far down the road of building the G3 boards why not use pololu?

Are you planning on using a stepper motor for the extruder? If so, I would recomend using a stepper driver rather than following the hack which makes the G3 work for stepper drivers. The A3949 are (I believe) actually made for DC motor control. You will find that your stepper drive has an awfull whine when using the G3 Extruder Controller 2.2 to drive it.

Perhaps you can build the extruder controller without these (and the associated motor components) for the other extruder controls (excluding driving the motor) and use a pololu to drive the extruder like tonybuser did over here.

I am not sure if you can build the extruder controller without these components but I don't see any reason why not. I am sure the electronics geniuses on this forum will be able to help.

I have sourced the pololu driver for about £12 (inclusive of VAT) and the other components are not that much more expensive...

good luck
December 02, 2010 09:21AM
Yes the EC will not notice if the A3949s are missing.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 04, 2010 03:27PM
Thanks for the tips, I'm going to stick to the design on the wiki at this stage, once I've got it up and running I will experiment with some different electronics.

I guess I'm going to have to place an order from the states and take the hit on the postage. Anyone else want a couple of these chips?

Milly.
December 13, 2010 01:59AM
I have two chips for sale. I will put them on ebay...
December 13, 2010 04:13AM
Here you go...

[cgi.ebay.nl]
December 15, 2010 05:46AM
Bart,

Thanks for that, unfortunately I've already sourced a pair from the US. Maybe this could go on the Sale forum as others may well be trying to get hold of these hard to find (in the UK) chips!

Milly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login