Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[FR] FoldaRap Crowd-Printing

Posted by Emmanuel 
[FR] FoldaRap Crowd-Printing
October 02, 2012 02:49PM
I may need to build more Foldaraps that I can print...

I don't want to set up a botfarm, as I'd prefer to try that distributed manufacturing idea suggested by eMaker back in that time and leverage our whole community (another way to give back, beside doing open-source stuff).

[www.emakershop.com]

I don't know yet of a convenient web marketplace for that kind of demand, like we where dreaming off in the previous topic. Hence my post here.

So, if you have some Red or Black PLA and a fairly well calibrated printer, I'm willing to buy you all the parts you could make. From some parts to hundreds, as you can.

By "well calibrated" I mean it must fit a 20x20 aluminium extrusion from KJN or Motedis

This is the quality I have and I'm looking for : [reprap.org]

This is an experience, but if successful I will be happy to do it again.
I need 600 parts for the 30 machines I'm building (128/600 done !), but depending of how things are going here, I may need to produce more machines next year... or thousands of parts ^^' I could tweak them to be injection-molded, or try this interesting experience winking smiley

So, to sum-up :
-well working machine (post or link some of your proudest prints)
-red or black PLA
-my offer : 120€/kg + shipping (~400gr is needed)
-list of parts : [github.com]
-reasonable time/weight to expect per parts : see attached file (I'm printing at 50mm/s with 30%linear infill) [attachment 9988 Capture_prod.JPG]

My needs goes first for the big parts (foot-front and foot-rear), I will not ask for the extruder-idler or the x-end-idler as they may still evolve.

As a mean of transaction, I could suggest to create an item on emakershop.com (like ebay but for reprap and free of fees if you don't already know it). Then it could even serve to sell parts to other peoples who may be interested, and they will see that you had already successfully sold many parts.

I guess I should ask for a test part before, maybe send me a front-foot-right as an evaluation first or see how it fit on an extrusion.
But lets talk about that idea of crowd-printing and if people are interested to help smiling smiley

ps : if many people offer their services, a good idea would probably to choose one person for a single kind of part. I will add this to the foldarap-batch1 wiki page in that case. (I like also the idea to be able to say "that part was made by this guy from there" ^^)

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
Re: [FR] FoldaRap Crowd-Printing
October 02, 2012 03:36PM
You may want to try and get people in your area. I did basically the same thing with Tantillus but only used people in my area that I could get the parts from in person to ensure quality.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 02, 2012 06:27PM
Thanks for the advice smiling smiley
I operate one of the few repraps in my area but I know some people a little more far that may be able to do that.
October 03, 2012 03:22AM
I might be interested to help you, Emmanuel. And I'm "somewhat" local.
I have a few steps to take first, like adding endstops (getting fed up of manual homing) and eliminating a bit of Z wooble.

Out of curiosity, what kind of amount (number of machines) are you aiming for ? When would you need the parts ?

I'll go ahead and try to print one part and go see Mr paoparts, he can probably lend me a motedis profile for accuracy verification - I only have misumis.

More news, soon.

Ho, and maybe you'd get some help by posting in the french spoken section too - I think many of them don't read the english part of the forums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2012 07:30AM by DeuxVis.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
October 03, 2012 05:18PM
Allright, after a few tests (see attached stl, it's a foldarap printed part cut down to the bare essential for that calibration run), I can obtain 28.05 mm outter dimension (should be 28) and 19.89 inner (should be 20).

Is that accurate enough or should I refine my settings again ?

Also I have eliminated most of my Z wobble by tightening 2 bolts that went loose due to vibrations, letting one of the Z smooth rods move a bit. Glad I noticed that early smiling smiley

Attachments:
open | download - test1.stl (26 KB)
October 04, 2012 06:00PM
Cool, bonne idée pour le forum VF, je voulais attendre un peu mais c'est sans doute le plus indiqué smiling smiley

Là j'ai 30 machines de prévue (21 pièces par reprap), mais pour cette expérience je suis pas hyper pressé (même si ça peut accélérer la production de la première série j'anticipe surtout 2013), c'est aussi une manière de tester comment on pourrais passer à une plus grande échelle sans devoir avoir recours à des moyens industriels plus costaud mais par conséquent moins agiles qu'une armée de reprap.

Pour les avoir testé je sais que KJN et Motedis ont les mêmes 20x20, j'imagine que c'est un trucs assez standard, donc ceux de Misumis devrait être similaires ? (curieux de savoir)

Pour ton test, déjà pas mal, à la limite les dimensions extérieures sont moins critiques que celles du carré interne, 19.89 c'est presque ça !
Il faudrait que je mesure sur mes premières pièces qui étaient un poil trop juste pour comparer (celles qui marchent bien sont entre 19.95 et 20.05, en mesurant depuis les dernières couches, le first layer étant souvent un peu plus écrasé ça y descend parfois à 19.5, tandis que le profilé semble être à 19.90). Ou si tu peut emprunter un profilé et voir si ça coulisse bien smiling smiley

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
October 05, 2012 01:38AM
deuxvis,
I have a few meters from motedis 20x20, you want to test a small length ?
pierre-marie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blog Paoparts
October 05, 2012 04:27AM
Paoparts : Yes it would be nice to keep it for me if you have a waste after cutting. Let me know when that happens I'll pay you a visit. Thanks !

Emmanuel : ah ok pas pressé, je croyais que c'était pour le premier batch. Tu peux me mettre sur ta liste de candidats, quand j'aurais vérifié que ça s'enquille bien je t'enverrais une pièce de test.

Misumi profiles are thicker, their channel depth (skin thickness) is 2mm instead of 1.5 for motedis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login