Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

everybody wants MENDEL PARTS

Posted by Sebastian 
everybody wants MENDEL PARTS
October 27, 2009 03:50AM
Everywhere in this forum are topics from people trying to get parts for mendel. From what I read this must be dozens of people. It came to my mind, that it would be alot cheaper to get those parts together. Yet I dont know, what the costs of injection-molding-parts are, because it just makes sence if we produce a lot of these parts (some tools have to be made by the company). I need those parts too and I would thank you, if you could drop a note here, if you are interested in getting the parts.
This may be the first step in organizing a big order.

At the moment I'm trying to get my own parts from a supplier, but if enough people would come together here (lets say atleast 12), I would ask for prices and could organise shipping from germany.

Sebastian
Re: everybody wants MENDEL PARTS
October 27, 2009 05:22AM
there is a discussion about starting a kickstarter project: Get funds to buy a few makerbots or BfB machines and start a production run.
Good idea in my opinion. I think a machine from BfB with the proper Gcode can print more items in the same time because of the larger printbed. There is probably much more interesting things to be learned from starting production with using our own technology than going the injection molding route.
October 27, 2009 01:01PM
I am working on a similar idea with some friends. Its still early but if there is an interest I could compile a waiting list. We will have 3 mendel rep raps coming online to print these in the near future starting with mine which is slated to finish construction/begin printing within the next 2 weeks. Production would probably begin in three weeks given we will need time to print the other 2 mendels. I am located in Toronto, Canada and would not expect any trouble shipping to the US.

Pricing has yet to be determined but expect it to be considerably less expensive then the laser cut makerbot parts, to be clear we are talking about the plastruded parts only - makerbot does a good enough job selling everything else. I will post a website once we are closer to production.

Cheers,
Rob
November 03, 2009 04:44AM
Great idea!
I would be happy to add my name to a list of people who want Mendel parts. Actually, I will need two sets of part. I live in UK but I am willing to pay the postage fees as well as the parts.

Let me know if you find enough people to do that!
November 03, 2009 09:37AM
I'd also be interested in a set of Mendel parts. I'm just getting started (I have nothing at the moment) so a few weeks lead time is not really an issue.

I live in the US (Illinois).
November 03, 2009 01:26PM
I've added you both to the waiting list. I will PM you when I have an update on pricing/availability.
November 07, 2009 07:47PM
I am also interested in getting Mendel parts. I live in the U.S. (Arkansas), and likewise, a little bit of a lead time would be o.k.

-Adam
November 08, 2009 09:07AM
I look forward to seeing pricing information when you get into production.
November 08, 2009 11:04AM
Also I and my friends from Italy have interest on mendel printed parts.

Count me in!
November 09, 2009 05:00PM
I'm interested too! Live in texas.
wesjanik, i have a makerbot and a small group looking to build 3d printers. Send me an email at baslisks@gmail.com and we can talk.
November 10, 2009 08:39PM
ryanhendrickson - are you from near Chicago? There's actually a forum for us (http://dev.forums.reprap.org/list.php?40), though I can't say I've posted anything there yet...
November 18, 2009 10:17PM
I am based in Sydney Australia and would be very keen to get hold of a set of mendal parts. Please add me to the list. smiling smiley
November 19, 2009 01:58PM
I would also be interested in a set. my club is located in Norman, oklahoma. If possible we would like these parts to be ordered by the end of the year.
November 28, 2009 11:21AM
I want MENDEL PARTS !

GERMANY...
November 30, 2009 01:32AM
I'm interested as well. I'm in Austin, TX
November 30, 2009 02:51AM
Sebastian,

Besides injection molding, there's always traditional molding/moulding
(uk spelling):
[reprap.org]

You'd want to make a mold out of urethane rubber (Polyurethane elastomer, technically), and you'd need to identify a cheap, strong, lightweight casting material with a fast cure and demold time, at least < 1 day.

Say concrete, with hollow glass microspheres for filler.
[en.wikipedia.org]
[en.wikipedia.org]
(Assuming the lightweight filler pays for itself in reduced shipping cost.)

I'd start by making a mold for extruder heads to master the process, and I'd try to find someone friendly and local to help with making the molds, like a sculptor.
December 01, 2009 08:47AM
theOtherRob - how is the "factory" coming?
December 01, 2009 11:01AM
There have been definite set backs in getting the first mendel online. The machine shop access we had planned to make use of is no longer available so for the time being things are progressing at a snails pace using a Cupcake CNC and laser cutter.

The plan remains to bring a factory style operation online but there's no longer a clear time line for when we'll be ready.

Sorry guys, hopefully you can find parts elsewhere in the meantime.
December 01, 2009 02:27PM
Noooooo! Bad luck. It seems like my christmas Mendel is quite compromised.

I have (almost) all the other parts now, I just need the repraped parts and the GEN3 electronics. Please let me know when you can make a set for me.

I would be very pleased to make a couple of repraped parts to send to the others once the machine will be up and running. it seems like there is a huge demand... But first things first, I need to build the machine.
December 01, 2009 06:26PM
No worries... Given the demand, you guys may be up and running before we're able to find them anywhere else anyway smiling smiley
December 01, 2009 07:02PM
haha, I'm printing my parts as fast as I can winking smiley

I'll make sure to post back here when we start to get closer to production.

On a technical note: I'm going to install heated build platforms on my mendels since I've noticed warping is a large problem on the CupCake CNC so the parts produced should be of a better quality then those produced without a heater (I'm also retrofitting the CupCake CNC since it warped to much to even print the larger parts without a heated platform!).
December 02, 2009 05:43AM
Looking for Mendel in the Houston, TX area.
Looking for Mendel parts for the OU Robotics Club in Norman, OK.

Thanks!
December 07, 2009 04:41AM
I'll also want one set of mendel parts.

(Spain)
I would also like to purchase a set of Mendel parts.
I live in Germany.
Add me to the list. I live in Austin Texas. Michael.r.foster @ gmail.com
December 15, 2009 02:53PM
Looking for two sets of mendel parts.
Pittsburgh, PA USA
December 19, 2009 06:54PM
Hi
excellent idea to get up and make ye're own production line instead of standing in line like the rest of us idiots,
On a similiar note could I please get a quote for a full mendel RP set including shipping to Ireland.
My email is;
commanderwiggles@hotmail.com
contact me when possible.
Thanks for the service to the community
December 19, 2009 07:27PM
Hi CommanderWiggles,
We are still in the intial phases of this project and have not yet entered production yet. I will contact you when we are ready to start shipping RR parts kits.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login