Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

looking to build a 3D printer

Posted by yohoki 
looking to build a 3D printer
March 06, 2014 03:31PM
I'm looking to begin building a 3D printer and am completely new to the scene. I could really just use some direction on where I should start. There's so many names out there, and models, and versions and... blah. It's hard to tell where to even start, and when you're tight on money, there's not a lot of wiggle room to accidentally order the wrong thing.

I'm looking to get a kit that has everything I need, hardware-wise, to build a fully functioning printer. Having the option to print new parts and upgrade would be nice too, but not required. Price is a factor, probably the hardest to work around. I'd like to keep it under 200, but I might be able to shift around some extra funds if I need to.

Thanks in advance for help!
Re: looking to build a 3D printer
March 07, 2014 08:26AM
Under $200 is VERY hard, if not impossible to find. $300 is much more doable, but you will get only the basics (PLA only, no heated bed, small build area).

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
March 10, 2014 07:12PM
300 doesn't sound unrealistic. And no heated bed shouldn't be too bad, I'm sure I can find a way to keep it warm, or make some kind of chamber to keep the while thing warm. I PLA means, though... I assume it's the type of plastic? For a beginner and non-commercial hobbyist, I don't think that will be a huge problem, since I won't know what working with anyothersis like anyway.

I'm also curious how small a "small build area" is. I mainly plan to use it for small things anyway, though I have nothing specific in mind.
March 11, 2014 12:41PM
small as in 100x100x100mm. However, it is highly possible to expand that later on, especially if you go with the Printrbot Simple.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
March 13, 2014 01:41PM
Hey,

I would recommend taking a look at the Printrbot or the RepRap Wallace, they have a small part count and a relatively high build area compared to the machine's size. The build area is about 150mm x 150mm x 150mm. If you're interested, I could print out some parts for you?

Take a look at these:

[reprap.org]

[reprap.org]

Jordan
March 13, 2014 06:00PM
Thank you both! The Printrbot original or simple is looking like the way to go! Both seem like just the thing I assign looking for. And the printrbot seems to function in a similar manner to my engraving machines that I currently work with, so assembly and maintenance should be easy.

Now the very last thing is to find where to get one! But, with a name in mind, that should be easy to sort out.

Jordan: thank you for offering, but I think I'd rather find a whole kit... being that I haven't made or assembled one before, or even seen one in person, I have a feeling I'd buy all the wrong parts if I tried doing it all separately. I couldn't possibly trouble y'all to help me order EVERYTHING. XD But, I'll keep you in mind if it comes time that I need to start thinking of upgrading the size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 06:10PM by yohoki.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login