Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wanted: full set of mendel parts in San Jose area

Posted by Parker  
wanted: full set of mendel parts in San Jose area
September 01, 2010 06:43PM
hi, i live near San Jose California and i'd really like to get a mendel.... but finding parts is horrendously difficult. So one of two things please:

Does anybody have all the parts required to build a mendel for under $600?

if not,

can somebody find me all the parts required to build a mendel for under $600? in return once i get it built i would happily print parts for a new extruder you've been wanting for yours or anything like that. It's unlikely i'll have much to give it to print, leaving it idle most of the time.

please help, although i'm great at assembling things and my CAD programs, i'm terrible at finding info on the web. I've been having issues just finding everything on the wiki....

thanks in advance
Re: wanted: full set of mendel parts in San Jose area
September 02, 2010 04:52PM
Parker, we're trying to bootstrap the Loaner Program, but it is slow going. smiling bouncing smiley

I'd suggest building a WolfStrap, or better, an Eiffel. (That way we'll get more docs for Eiffel. Eiffel is very very sexy. smoking smiley )

The Noisebridge folks are good people, they may lend you a set of parts. Or you can use a laser cutter or cnc router at one of theTechShops to cut a http://reprap.org/wiki/LaserCut_Mendel or an http://reprap.org/wiki/Isaac.

I very strongly suggest an Eiffel, though. (We need a Bill of Materials. smileys with beer )

Good luck.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 02, 2010 05:38PM
hi sebastian. i'd love to build one of these more experimental designs later, but the mendel seems to be the most widely known and generally well documented. i will look into that lasercut mendel though, my friend owns a machine shop, maybe he could make the parts i can't get at home depot for me.

on that note, which parts (besides fasteners and bearing obviously) are available from the regular hardware store? and what would i call them to ask for them from a regular employee instead of a reprapper?
September 04, 2010 11:59PM
alright, i've decided to simply cut my own lasercut mendel. i understand the holes in the pieces must be very exact, but how important are the actual shapes?
could i just jigsaw them? i do have more exact machines but they're a hassle.

also, what scale are these files?????? i need to print them to cut them out, but i don't know how big they actually are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2010 11:43AM by Parker .
September 05, 2010 04:03PM
Pepakura Designer will pull a fully to scale paper templete out of any STL file, and it's free.

You are right the holes are the important part of the designs.

I hate to see you go down this road, it's lead to MANY failed attempts in the last few years, what can I do to convince you not to waste your energy?

Heck I will sell you My Mini mendel. currently I have this much in it.

$75 bearings
$80 motors (nema 14)
$25 motor (nema 17)
$10 (i sheet of plastic I used to make the squished frog)
$45 m6 threaded and Smooth
$70 in screws and bolts

Outside the RP parts I have 305 in this project right now. I will sell it to you mostly assembled (I do have to get it in a box smiling smiley ) for $400. I will throw in a free Wades extruder, you just have to promise to help someone else you dont' know out when you get done, considering this is basically giving the dang thing away.

That would leave you with getting electroncis, which will run you $150-$250 depending on how you acquire them, and $50 for a hot end ($100 if you go with one of the Makergear preassembled ones, which I suggest highly to new folks), and $15 for belts from Mcmaster carr. Keep in mind Huxley/Mini mendel is still beta, but I will send you any parts you end to get up and going. Anyway hope this helps.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
September 07, 2010 07:48PM
I'm sorry but i'm dead set on a full sized Mendel. i'll CNC or buy online some of the more complex RP parts, but it seems like a terrible waste of money for me to buy my frog, the frame vertices, or the other simpler parts online when i have thousands of dollars in machinery in my garage.

and just to clarify, i'm trying to get the scale of .svg files, not the 3d files, the 2d ones for lasercut mendel.
September 07, 2010 11:00PM
Parker,

Try this set of pdfs for vanilla Mendel?
[reprap.org]
http://reprap.org/wiki/File:Mendel_Drawings.zip

I'm afraid they are extremely old (~9 months) sad smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 08, 2010 06:46PM
Many people have had much frustration with the current crop of 2d mendel lasercut files. Just like many people where very unhappy with the old Ponoko Darwin till BfB cleaned up the kit a bit.

Do as you wish, just trying to help you out smiling smiley

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login