Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wanted - Darwin 1.0 printed parts set - Wood?

Posted by RoundSparrow 
Wanted - Darwin 1.0 printed parts set - Wood?
January 14, 2008 10:47AM
I know some of you out there are making wood sets for themselves here in the USA.

Are you willing to sell extras?

1 @ $120/each
5 @ $100/each

Ok, what if we doubled these prices?

Once you have done the first set... is it 10 or 20 hours to do a second set?
Re: Wanted - Darwin 1.0 printed parts set - Wood?
January 14, 2008 01:21PM
I could guide anybody how to do them with a drill press, Miter saw, and scroll saw.
it was not that hard and only took me what I believe to be 10 hours at the most when I got my steps down.
I dont have the time to run off more sets plus being in New England I am not able to be in my shop till spring..

Oh and by the way I used 5/16 inch rods and they work fine you should be able to use them in place of the metric ones.

Bruce Wattendof
January 17, 2008 02:29PM
Anyone willing to do the work, Bruce is offering help/assistance!
I have a 50 watt lasersaw that will cut 1/8" (3mm) wood. I intend to slice the .stl drawings into 1/8" slices then glue them together. If this is not strong enough, I'll use them as patterns and cast parts in resin or aluminum. My holdup is slicing the drawings. anyone want to trade some CAD skills for a set of wood parts??
August 29, 2008 10:14PM
Ken,

Where are you at in the world? I have the set from Ian almost in American sizes to use American hardware or you could make the parts from the files Ian posted. thouse should work in wood. The other option is to use the files that Vic Oliver has tweeked. Both of these file are in the mechanical folder on source forge.

Bruce Wattendorf
Bruce,
Thank you, Thank You. I'll head over there and give it a look. I'll try to blog how things work out. FWIW; I'm now in Laurel Montana USA I grew up in rural Montana where it was 80 miles to a town with more than 1500 people. Spare parts for anything took days and $ to obtain. Reprap would go along way towards easing life.
September 03, 2008 12:05PM
Ken,

Do you have access to a laser cutter? If not I made my machine from wood parts.

MY blog is at [repstrapping.blogspot.com] I can help you out with drawings and pictures I used a drill press, Scroll saw and hand tools to make it.

Bruce Wattendorf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login