Shoot for the Moon!
The 3ft tall 1X2 TALLCAT has a vertical build area of 640mm, yet it takes up no more desk space than the "Compact" Reprap 1X2. It has an increased X and Y build area as well.
This is a Pyramid Repstrap made with all 1-Dimensional 90 degree cuts.
The 1X2 and 1X2 TALLCAT are RepRap class 3D-printers that can be built with access to only a drill-press and hand-saw. The parts for the entire system can be made with one-dimensional tools, straight cuts and common materials.
607mm tall single-walled tube(40mm diameter).
Print Time: 5hr40min
This machine is made by: mrkimrobotics.com
The TALLCAT turns its biggest weakness, long flexible rods, into a strength by using the flex to triangulate the frame into a pyramidal structure. The rods bend out of the way of the z-bearing blocks as they ascend from the inside of the pyramid to the outside. This makes full end-to-end travel possible even with a highly acute frame.
- Eliminated frame spacers.
- Eliminated 45mm M3 bolts.
- Eliminated 25mm X-motor spacers.
- No more asymmetrical countersinks.
- Lower Table increases active Z-Travel.
- X-Travel increased to 160mm.
- Lighter X-Assembly.
- Simple pinch belt clamp has easy tension adjust and requires no through holes in the belt.
- Vinyl shaft stops
- Dual Pivoting footed vertex allows adjustable bearing block alignment.
- The Y-Carriage version is fully working.
- The stepper-driven conveyor-y-axis is physically sound but the control system is still being developed so it is experimental.
This version uses traditional toothed timing belts and a one-piece Y-carriage design.
Video: <videoflash type="youtube">_WT4x1lXV2I|320|240</videoflash> <videoflash type="youtube">yagJJwZvnTQ|320|240</videoflash>
Parts Y-Carriage Version: