Blog 5: Open Source, Sustainability, and DIY
1. If i were a member of the gun project I would try to make a deal with the government to acquire some sort of profit for my 3D Printing efforts. The government will find a way to regulate something like this so I would want to get a quick money before the whole operation is completely shutdown.
2. The government can only regulate something that they know about. The only way I could see them being able to regulate this would be if they could somehow figure out when a person was printing a weapon. This way if a person printed a weapon or too many of a particular weapon type, the government would be alerted. The printer would have to be connected to the internet.
3. Other things that would be prone to prohibition would be:
Keys to facilities Police Badges Other weapons (besides guns) Copyright devices
Blog 4: Intellectual Property
Makerbot is having a big impact on the industry with their introduction of the Prusa and now the Replicator 2. They also have made huge steps in the area of design with the help of the many others via contributions to the Thingiverse site. Makerbot has announced that they own all the open source material on Thingivere now which I think is unfair. I don’t understand how something is labeled open source and in the same breath now labeled as being owned by a company. If that is the case, people should stop uploading their designs and create another thingiverse.
Blog 3: Organization of Print service and basic print skill acquisition
1. The government will always try to place a restriction on some sort of building or manufacturing but I don’t see how they will be able to enforce a policy for personal printed parts.
2. My personal passion is technology. I enjoy find new tech and using new gadgets. I hope to use my mechanical engineering degree and ,my aquired knowledge to invent a benchmark design. When people ask me about my interest I usually bring up my love for technology and passion for inventions. I also see my interest in being an inventor as a way to attract a future mate. Women want men with skills and capabilities, and in my case I see my knowledge as an attractive trait that should be brought up in conversation with women.
3. The spread of knowledge is great and in most cases will benefit everyone in the population of the spread. I do not believe 3D printing will destroy intellectual property at all. I believe if this were the case, intellectual property would have been destroyed a long time ago with the printing press, which initially enabled ideas to be recorded and distributed.
""Blog 2: Basic Operation of Repraps""
1. The idea of having a self-replicating universal constructor is feasible but to become effective in our economy the quality of prints must improve. To achieve plausible results from the prints it is necessary for the printers to be accurate and show consistency. The implementation of some preventive law is the only potential draw back I can conceive.
2. The phase wealth without money could have a few meanings. To me it means acquiring a useful trait, bit of knowledge or ability that in most cases has not been used for the purpose of economic gain. There is no problem with this idea if everyone is willing to share their wealth. The problem I see with the idea of wealth without money is that it is not easily definable.
3. I see 3D printing really expanding in the future. Some applications would be for simple services such as printing a comb on a personal device or use in commerce via vending machines. The system I envision would involve objects being purchased and printed out.
Commerce Personal Education Business
Useful: "Paper Clip" You never know when you might need the classic paperclip. I am glad I can now print one at will
Weird:  "Badass Stanford Armadillo" This appears to be some type of character or action figure. Not sure of the origin... but's weird
Funny:  "Beavis and Butthead" Is a classic funny cartoon. I was surprised to see it on Thingiverse.
Artistic:  I came across this giant "acrylic spider". It has many colors which immediately caught my attention. It looks difficult to make.
Pointless:  "Image of After Be Pearce's Curse Control" I am still having trouble figuring out what this is lol.
Member of the State College RUG