Firmware build process
Perhaps this page should be renamed "Darwin firmware build process" or "Darwin/firmware build process" ?
RepRap Firmware Build Process
Setup the Development Environment
# sudo apt-get install subversion libc6-dev flex g++ bison gputils
Windows: please see Cygwin Build instead of using the following instructions.
Mac OSX: no idea. it is probably possible. if you attempt it, please let us know!
Compiling the Firmware
- Check out the latest code from Subversion.
- The firmware code is located in reprap/firmware
- Issue a "make" at the top level
- If this is the first build, a local instance of sdcc will be built first. This is to ensure compatibility with sdcc.
- After the build is complete, the output files will be stored in the build subdirectory in a further subdirectory named by the processor the firmware is for. By default this is 16f628.
- The following will be built in separate subdirectories of the processor build directory.
- stepmotor A generic stepper motor controller on address 2. For RepRap this is the X axis.
- stepmotorb A generic stepper motor controller, identical to stepmotor but using address 3. For RepRap, this is the Y axis.
- stepmotorc A generic stepper motor controller, identical to stepmotor but using address 4. For RepRap, this is the Z axis.
- stepmotor-small A generic stepper motor controller that has a smaller memory footprint. Not all features are supported and this is not currently planned for use in RepRap.
- motor A generic DC motor controller using address 5. Not currently planned for use in RepRap.
- extruder A reprap extruder controller that integrates DC motor functionality with PWM temperature control. It uses address 8.
- If the sdcc compile fails with this error:
make: Entering directory `/home/iowa/reprap/trunk/reprap/firmware/sdcc-build/sdcc/sim/ucsim' g++ -g -O2 -gstabs+ -g3 -pipe -I. -Wall -I. -I./sim.src -Icmd.src -Igui.src -c pobj.cc -o pobj.o cmd.src/newcmdcl.h:127: error: extra qualification 'cl_console::' on member 'clone_for_exec' make: *** [pobj.o ] Error 1 make: Leaving directory `/home/iowa/reprap/trunk/reprap/firmware/sdcc-build/sdcc/sim/ucsim' make: *** [all] Error 2 make: Leaving directory `/home/iowa/reprap/trunk/reprap/firmware/sdcc-build/sdcc/sim/ucsim' make: *** [sdcc-misc] Error 2 make: Leaving directory `/home/iowa/reprap/trunk/reprap/firmware/sdcc-build/sdcc' make: *** [/home/iowa/reprap/trunk/reprap/firmware/sdcc/share/sdcc/include/pic] Error 2
Edit the file sdcc-build/sdcc/sim/ucsim/cmd.src/newcmdcl.h and change line 127 from:
virtual class cl_console *cl_console::clone_for_exec(char *fin);
virtual class cl_console *clone_for_exec(char *fin);
(we've reported this bug to the sdcc developers, and hopefully it will be resolved soon.)
Building for a different processor
To build for a different processor than the default 16f628, use the PROCESSOR environment variable, eg
Building only specific devices
To build only specific devices, use the DEVICES environment variable, eg
Similarly, to build a particular device for a different processor:
DEVICES=stepmotor-small PROCESSOR=16f627 make
Note: Most code uses some processor specific hardware and may not work correctly on any given device
-- Main.SimonMcAuliffe - 07 Jan 2006