Prusa Mendel experience at Sportvision
Hi, my name is Tim and along with a few other co-workers here at Sportvision we are building a Prusa Mendel. Hopefully the details of our build will help others who are starting out.
I started our build by ordering a set of printed parts from a seller on eBay and a full hardware/electronics kit from mixshop.com.
Here is some great intro information to supplement our build: Building Your Own 3D printer
Here is another blog with good build info: Building a RepRap Prusa Mendel
I'm currently assembling the frame. Should have it all squared up and tightened by the end of the week.
The pulleys included with the printed parts set don't seem to seat with the belt very well. I'm thinking we should just order some good pulleys and belts from SDP.
- Pulley: 
- Kent Oct 17, 2011: ordered Pulleys and Belts from SDP. 2 of these: https://sdp-si.com/eStore/PartDetail.asp?Opener=Group&PartID=50050&GroupID=347
We also need to decide if the initial build will use printed PLA bushings or if we should go straight to LM8UU linear bearings.
- Tim - October 13, 2011: I've ordered 12x LM8UU linear bearings from an eBay seller. They should arrive in 1-2 weeks.
- Tim - October 13, 2011: I've ordered a Heatbed MK1 PCB from RepRap-USA.
The kits I purchased included all of the plastic parts and hardware for Wade's Geared Extruder
The hardware kit from mixshop.com includes parts to build this hot end.
Having read that this simple hot end design can fail rather quickly, I'm tossing around the following ideas:
2. Getting a groovmount from MakerGear and using the other parts we have.
- Kent - October 12, 2011: The end used on the J Head MKIII-B RepRap-USA. is brilliant. Wether we decide to purchase or make our own version this method has the most potential to last longer and be up and working faster.
- Tim - October 13, 2011: I've ordered the J Head from RepRap-USA.
RAMPS1.4 electronics are on order and should be here by the end of October.
Skein Software – SFACT
Host – Pronterface