Vote for deletion
Please drop this whole idea, it's completely misguided and won't even work. LRC is not only a waste of time, it is detrimental to Open Source.
If you care about Open Source, do not use LRC, it will cut you off from Open Source development.
If you want to make some money for development, do not use LRC. It provides no legal or practical use. There is no queue of companies waiting to pay you for your idea.
- I do not understand your personal dislike for this concept.
- Developing and getting nothing in return is also a waste of time. Oddly enough it does not directly relate to Open Source.
- LRC is about freedom and fairness, it does not need legal standing. The practical use is the provision of an alternative licence model to test. There is no queue of companies waiting to pay for GPL ideas either so what is the harm in that?
- If it fails what have you personally lost? Certainly you have gained my disclosures under a licence you do not honour.
- I also am mystified at this call for deletion. How can anyone know ahead of time whether some new idea "won't even work" ? Clearly at least one person thought it might work. Wouldn't it be better to say a few words about *why* it won't work, or at least why some other approach works better -- so people like me can learn something -- rather than delete this page? --DavidCary (talk) 11:33, 11 November 2013 (PST)
I am writing this now that I have a moment to try and figure out what happened.
On 22 October I was a bit surprised to find the Talk page with only one comment from Bobc when I received the status update, this was because Bobc had commented earlier (on the 8th as quoted below from the page history) which I planned to move to this discussion page and had drafted my considered reply. I have looked in the logs and history and can see no record of my creation of discussion page so I well understand Bobc airing his views again, it would look to me that I have merely deleted his comment and ignored him, that was not my intention. I expect what happened while I was editing the main page at the same time (on the 9th) I must have closed the Talk page creation window without saving first (or a power interruption which happens sporadically here) and did not think to check. I had also added more detail to the main page to address his concerns so was not expecting much new discussion. This diff shows all the clarifications I added to the main page in response to Bobc's first comment http://reprap.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=LRC&diff=107773&oldid=107721
My reply here amounted to being puzzled by the request, indicating why I had moved the discussion to the Talk page so it could be properly discussed and my suggestion that it did not contradict the RepRap ethos directly having read the quoted writings by Adrian.