RepRapDiscount Smart Controller
Release status: working
Based on bkubicek idea, we realized this smart controller.
This Smart Controller contains a SD-Card reader, a rotary encoder and a 20 Character x 4 Line LCD display. You can easy connect it to your Ramps board using the "smart adapter" included.
After connecting this panel to your Ramps you don't need your pc any more, the Smart Controller supplies power for your SD card. Further more all actions like calibration, axes movements can be done by just using the rotary encoder on the Smart Controller. Print your 3D designs without PC, just with a g-code design stored on the SD card.
As firmware we used Marlins' sources, to update the firmware in the future you just need an Arduino board, so you are good to go ;)
Pictures of a Smart Controller made by RepRapDiscount.com
Marlin V1 (new)
- Change line 46 to “#define MOTHERBOARD 33”
- Change line 306 to “#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER” (just remove the // at the beginning)
- Change line 326 to “#define NEWPANEL //enable this if you have a click-encoder panel” (just remove the // at the beginning)
Switch over to "Pins.h" and change line 318 to “#define RAMPS_V_1_3” (just remove the // at the beginning)
Upload the firmware, power off the Arduino, connect the panel, reapply power, and everything should work.
Marlin V1 RC2 (old)
Settings for RAMPS1.4 in "Configuration.h" search for "ULTIPANEL" and activate the define (remove the leading "//")
- define ULTIPANEL
- define NEWPANEL //enable this if you have a click-encoder panel
Also change the value on "define MOTHERBOARD" to 33
in "pins.h" go to section for RAMPS configuration (search for "MOTHERBOARD == 33")
//STOP / KILL button
- define KILL_PIN 41 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define LCD_PINS_RS 16 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define LCD_PINS_ENABLE 17 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define LCD_PINS_D4 23 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define LCD_PINS_D5 25 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define LCD_PINS_D6 27 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define LCD_PINS_D7 29 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define BTN_EN1 31 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define BTN_EN2 33 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define BTN_ENC 35 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
- define BEEPER 37 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER] / 37 = enabled; -1 = dissabled / (if you don't like the beep sound ;-)
//SD card detect pin
- define SDCARDDETECT 49 //[RAMPS14-SMART-ADAPTER]
Open Source Files
You can find the open source files here: http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/forums/oss/
Where to get it?
If you don't have the mood to build it yourself you can just buy direct from our ReprapDiscount Online Shop
Or in the CN HE3D
Or in Australia here
Or Wordwide 
All parts are licensed under Attribution - ShareAlike.