RepRap Admin since May 2007.
Primary system administrator for Reprap servers.
Built a set of Reprap v1 electronics, which worked to the extent of driving one small test stepper motor.
Mendel build Summer 2010
- Parts acquisition is almost complete, construction of bot in progress.
- RP parts requested from Adrian 2010-05-27, printed 2010-06-20, shipped (airmail) 2010-06-21, arrived 2010-06-30.
- Mendel hardware kit and PLA ordered 2010-05-28, arrived 2010-06-07.
- Seeeduino Mega ordered 2010-05-28, arrived 2010-06-03, works out of the box, and is tiny !
- Stepper motors ordered 2010-06-18, arrived 2010-06-23.
- Thick sheet set purchased on ebay 2010-06-23, arrived 2010-06-28.
- 4axis CNC stepper controller board purchased on ebay 2010-07-10.
- Mendel belt kit ordered from UltiMachine 2010-07-12.
Personal Mendel Build Goals
- Low cost (under US$500 if at all practical!).
- Improve the mechanical build docs based on the experience putting them together.
- "Very standard" Mendel mechanics (for ease of getting help with them!).
- "Very reliable" extruder (so I can make parts sets).
- Some experimenting with electronics and firmware is OK, esp. to reduce cost, as well as avoiding supply issues with the official electronics kits.
- Make it work, and only then think about adding extras such as a heated bed.
- Seeeduino Mega fully assembled from http://www.nkcelectronics.com/seeeduino-mega-fully-assembled.html ($40)
- 1 cheap 4axis stepper controller board from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190403676497 ($75 ish)
- 3 Opto endstop boards (Either from Ultimachine kits ($9 for 3), or from my old Gen1 electronics if those are compatible, which I think they should be!)
- Misc other stuff, wiring, etc. (guesstimate: maybe $30??)
- 4 NEMA 17 steppers. Lin Engineering 4218L-01-10 bipolar stepper motors from Alltronics. Rated 2A, 75 oz-in . (US$32)
- Hardware Kit from Ultimachine (because I know the least about the mechanics, spending $$ on a kit is OK!) ($200)
- Belts (not in kit above) from Ultimachine. ($26)
- Thick sheet set from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190408974428& . ($26)
- Thin sheet set from coke can or similar scrap.
RP Parts Set
- From Adrian -- this is where being a Core Team member is a huge win :)
- Adrian's geared stepper driven design. ($??)
- Will need RP extruder parts from somewhere, once I decide which design to build! (Adrian's parts come with Adrian's RP set, so this is now a solved issue).
List below is for Adrian's design, but not the new improved one with PTFE inside the brass. Update needed...
- M3x10 4
- M4x12 2
- M4x20 2
- M4x45 6
- M4x55 2
- M4 nuts 13
- M4 wing nut 1
- M4 washers 21
- 624 bearings 3
- M4 threaded rod 70mm
- 4mm diameter rod 25mm
- M4 insert 1 (Adrian will include this)
- Strip-board 50mmx25mm
- 4-way pin headers 2
- 4-way ribbon cable 130mm
- 16mm dia PTFE 50mm
- M6 threaded brass 36mm
- Thermistor 1
- Kapton tape 200mm
- Nichrome wire 6 ohms
- Araldite rapid About 5 ml
- PLA, natural, from Ultimachine. (US$50 for a 5lb spool)
Project Cost Estimate
Looks like US$471 plus shipping, plus unknown cost of the extruder parts and any necessary tools (to make an extruder). It is going to get very close to my US$500 budget limit, it seems!
2010-05-28: Spent $44.50 on Seeeduino Mega.
2010-05-28: Spent $266.30 on Mendel Hardware Kit and 5lbs PLA.
2010-06-19: Spent US$44.70 on 4 Lin Engineering steppers from Alltronics.
2010-06-23: Spent US$26.27 on thick sheet set from ebay.
2010-07-11: Spent US$76.50 on 4-axis CNC stepper controller board from ebay.
2010-07-12: Spent US$40.57 on Mendel belt kit, thermistor, etc.
Budget remaining: US$1.16 (not a lot!)
Things to Print (when it works)
- A set of RP Mendel parts to sell, to get more Reprapping budget
- At least one set of RP Mendel parts to give away, to ease my conscience (!)
- A second set of RP Mendel parts for myself, as spares or for a second Mendel.