This page collects suggestions for useful things for a RepRap machine to make. If you are a designer and wish to help out the project, pick something from this list (or WhatWouldYouMake), design and test it - then add it to the List of available files and remove it from here.
Where you can, try to put things in the right category by precision International Tolerance Grade that the object must be made to, and the materials involved, to help inform developers.
Things marked with a ^ are particularly desirable.
- Tracks and bogies
- Wheels systems enclosures
- Pulley wheels and blocks
- Knife switch parts
- Van Allen Geiger counter
- ^ roller Bearings (very high IT grade but don't know exactly)
- ^ Journal bearings (lower grade than roller bearings)
- Skate bearing pillow block
- Drive chain/belt
- Battery boxes for standard battery sizes
- Custom Shot Glasses
- Electrical terminal blocks
RepRap 3D printer
- Recycler and filament extruder
- RepStrapMini (smaller version, specialized to make only RepRap parts for full-sized machine. Easy to give out. Palm sized? (Mini-Mendel and Bonsai RepStrap are big (pun!) steps in this direction)
RepRap associated technology
- TouchProbeScanningHead (Scanning)
- Generic keypad
- Automated part unloader -- see automated build platform
- Adapter plates to mount a RepRap in a "cube" for CubeSpawn http://cubespawn.com/ . Eiffel and doboz might be able to fit with some very minor tweaking.
- Printable replacement for Traxxas rod ends.
- Main article: Development:Workshop Tools
- Laser cutter
- Large CNC router
- Micro lathe (VDX lathe?) -- can we use the Open Lathe
- Drexler Arm multi-material extruder/clasp
- Basic sewing machine
Home improvement items
- Outlet cover
- Light switch cover
- Electrical outlet box
- Child safety plug for electrical outlet
- Sharp corner cover
- Plastic light switch spacers for outlet boxes
- Threaded wire nuts
- Plastic drywall fasteners
- Plastic C-clamps
- Decorative light bulb covers for electric fans
- Plastic electric cord hole covers for desk/cube work surfaces
- Plastic end caps for clothes hangers
- Electric conduit connectors (elbow and tee)
- Drain pipe connectors and end caps
- Flat plastic fence for a garden
- Screw-on loops for hanging hollow tools that already have threaded ends
- Door stops
Home improvement tools
- Architect's 3 sided ruler
- Level (just add water, requires clear plastic)
Architecture, construction and prototyping
- A scaled model of cities, such as London, for design and planning puposes
- Hollow plastic pins and bowling ball (with screw on caps for filling with water)
- Poker chips
- Dice of different sizes (6 sided, 8 sided, 10, 12, 20, 4, etc)
- Chess set
- Checkers (different faces on each side, so you can tell when it has been 'kinged')
- Generic playing piece pawns to replace the lost pieces in other games (with variations? like Monopoly pieces)
- Stackable playing pieces (like Trouble)
- Juggling balls - hollow, filled, solid
- Juggling clubs - hollow, one-piece
- Golf tee
- Wiffle ball
- Hula hoops
- Paddle blades
- Pentomino set
- Tabletop items, e.g. free own army units and W
- hammer compatible bases, templates, markers, dice
- Toy tea set
- Toy plates, cups, bowls, etc.
- LEGO compatible spare parts
- Tangram puzzle
- Spiral drawing toy (a.k.a Spirograph) - older, fun toy. Some lo-res images.
- a new kind of Wikipedia: gömböc. (Or is there only the one shape?). The world's first operational gömböc was made with additive 3D rapid prototyping technology.
Simple household items
- Cutlery (File:Fork.blend,File:Spoon.blend)
- Protective cases (e.g. for phone, glasses)
- Tupperware and other containers
- Coat hanger
- Clothes pin (just add spring)
- Old-fashioned clothes pin (no spring necessary)
- Ice tray
- Pretty display pieces for holiday parties
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Fly swatter
- Letter opener
- Pet dish (various sizes - with support for big dogs so they don't have to squat to eat/drink)
- Salad tongs
- CD case
- Coffee filter holder (problem with thermoplast?)
- Pillbox -- rounded shapes so that people with arthritis can easily slide pills out of today's slot. Perhaps someday a smart pill box.
More complex / functional household items
- Ski Boot (we already have Childs Shoes)
- Coin sorter
- Slidingly engaging fasteners
- Fish tank filter body
- Fish tank light hood
- Fish tank rock vacuum
- Drawers (might have to extrude the frame in multiple pieces)
- Sports glasses frames (for when your glasses break, but you have two lenses)
- Coffee machine
- Clothes washing machine: perhaps something like the open source washing machine project
Handy aids for the handicapped
- Easy grip handles for toothbrush, keys, etc.
- Platonic solids
- 3D model of a function
- Slide rules (can a RepRap use the gcode generated by "slide rule" software by Hugh Aguilar?)
- Skull / vertebra / hip joint (human)
- Entire skeleton that can be wired together (human and various animals)
- Inner ear anatomy
- Animal tracks (various example animals)
- Animal jaws (herbivore, carnivore, rodent, etc.)
- Simple molecules
- Enzyme (active site and substrate)
- DNA helix
- Archimedes screw
- 3D model of a 2D dipole scalar field
- Mystery object (sphere with an internal structure to be probed non-destructively by students)
Some people are researching ways to fabricate metal parts more directly, with a metal deposition print head.
- ^gears and gearboxes of all sorts, large and small.
- ^pistons for diesel, steam engine
- ^ other expanders for engines
- ^ leadscrews
- ^ bolts, rivets, fasteners. Not so much to save money but because of the endless variety it would be nice to just print one when you need it rather than stock so many.
- ^^ A wide range of almost arbitrarily shaped objects for everything from the chuck on a drill to the focusing assembly on a digital camera or parts for a lathe.
- ^ drill bits in cobalt steel or HSS?
- ^ stepper motors
- ^ Power motors, AC and DC.
- ^ Some types of electrical components like resistors, capacitors (needs high resolution) transformers, connectors, wires.
- ^ Printed circuit boards, especially ones with electrical components mentioned above already on them.
- ^ Complete tools like an air drill etc. ready to use.
- ^ A car or subassembly for a car. Axle etc.
- a tire for a car.
- ^^A bicicle. Bicicles are objectively better than cars (socially and ecologically, obviously not in performance), and it would seem to be substancially easier to make.