Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First RepRap build - WIRING HELP PLEASE!!eye rolling smiley

Posted by Parabolic 
First RepRap build - WIRING HELP PLEASE!!eye rolling smiley
October 11, 2011 06:26PM
ok - Finally got in my electronics today! completely assembled ramps 1.4 kit from Ultimachine.
The Motors I had gotten dont have the standard r/bl/g/bk wiring. I got mine from makerbot, and they have a connector on the body (I think they are hybrid motors) with 6 pins, however the included harnesses are 4 wires - or/blk/yel/red.
has anyone used this type of motor before? looking at the wiring schematic for the ramps on the wiki it shows left to right - red blue green black. which would indicate a+ a- b+ b-. however its screened on the board 2b 2a 1a 1b. im kinda confused on this and was wondering if someone could shed some light on this for me...
I just dont want to burn something up.
Thanks!
Re: First RepRap build - WIRING HELP PLEASE!!eye rolling smiley
October 11, 2011 06:43PM
In the following picture you will see how 6-wire motors are wired internally.

To use them as 4-wire you use (A+ and A-) and (B+ and B-) and DO NOT USE (A and B )

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver

October 11, 2011 08:05PM
thanks! I got that much - Im just wondering of the color diffrence - and how the ramps board is screened vs/ the pinouts.
in other words- it doesnt say a+ a- B+ B- on the board - just 2a 2b 1a 1b
assuming the b is the return or the negative, that would make sense...
again - just dont want to burn these up out of the gate.
October 11, 2011 09:36PM
I always do it in order going around the coil counter clockwise connecting them to the board from left to right.

Coil order A+ A- B+ B-
Board order 1a 1b 2a 2b

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 12, 2011 02:32AM
Going by sublime's picture, you could use a multimeter to find which connections have the highest resistance.

I'd be suprised if could burn the motor out by wiring it wrong, more likely it will work or don't work.
just don't try keep it on for an extended period in a wiring configuration that does not work.

I'd be a little worried about the board, but if you find which contacts have the highest resistance, you should be ok.
October 12, 2011 09:57AM
Ok,
good to know!
In the mean time im having issues just getting the sprinter onto my mega - keeps getting write errors....
alot to learn all at once - arduino programming - stepper wiring and setup - pronterface - etc...
but I do dig it!!
Thanks for all the help!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login