Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are these parts enough to get started?

Posted by gordon13 
Are these parts enough to get started?
October 26, 2011 09:51PM
Hello I finally decided to dive into this 3D printing thing. Ive been looking around for the cheapest solution and found, what I think are, the main components. I wanted to get some feed back from people who know a lot about this.

Wade extruder kit:
[mixshop.com]

Sanguinololu kit:
[www.xyzprinters.com]

What additional parts would I need apart from bearings and rods/belts (Im planning on making all of that from cheap materials like wood until I can print some custom parts) to get this thing working?
Does that wade extruder kit I mentioned above include a way of heating the plastic (it says it includes nichrome wire, and nozzle are those part of the heater?) ? Does the Sanguinololu kit provide power to the heating element?

Any insight/suggestions/help into this is appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Are these parts enough to get started?
October 26, 2011 10:19PM
I can only speak on behalf of the extruder kit as I bought that kit to start. You will need the two printed parts for the main body of the extruder and then the gears which are also generaly printed as well. The only things the kit is missing is some common teflon tape which you may even have around for sealing pipe threads, and a wire ribbon with small crimp on ends to connect to the nicrom wire (since you cant really solder it) but this may be included in your electronics kit. If not it would be easy to get or make.

The actual nozzle assembly in the kit is a small brass rod which you wrap a section of nicrom wire around and then thread on the nozzle (using the teflon tape). This then gets threaded into the PTFE Rod that you must drill a hole in the center. The thermister to measure the temperature is also included as well as the tape to isolate it all. The complete assembly instructions can be found on the reprap website if you search wades extruder.

I decided to get the RAMPS board from ultimachine and it came with the few missing wires. Therefor, I cannot comment on the other kit. You are definitely on the right track at this point.

Good Luck!
October 27, 2011 04:00AM
Its a start, but like kevinkline4124 said the standard wades extruder uses printed parts (main section, idler, small gear, large gear).
These

kevinkline4124 answered how the heating element in the kit works and yes the board has a connector which heats the element.

With the kit its worth paying the little extra to get the smd parts pre-assembled (its only a tiny bit more).

As for making it out of wood or other cheap materials, its called a RepStrap. There are a few documented designs for RepStraps on the wiki and a good number of blogs too.

Good luck

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
October 27, 2011 06:20AM
Great thanks. lll look for the plastic parts.
October 27, 2011 06:37AM
Hello.
I myself have been following the 3d printer community for awhile now but didn't get serious about trying to buy bits until recently. I've been sourcing parts and found just about everything for a price I like. Going to order tonight in fact.

Rather then going through the trouble of trying to make those parts from scratch, you might consider these plastics kits I was looking at

Prusa Mendel Kit from Lulzbot

Clonedel Kit

I'm opting for the kit from Lulzbot since all it should require is a little finishing while the Clonedel requires to be drilled and centered correctly.
I can spend the extra $15 to save me most of the trouble and already match the hardware plus electronics kit I selected.

If you can make appropriate parts yourself and have the patience to do so, more power to you.
I'm just going this route to help eliminate any hardware issues on my first machine.
October 27, 2011 06:45AM
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at those kits but I decided not to go with the plastic parts for the frame (i would also need to buy a load of rods which adds t the cost) and it would probably be cheaper to make the frame out of wood.
The kits include all the parts so it wouldnt be worth it since all I need is the extruder.
October 27, 2011 07:55AM
gordon13
i would also need to buy a load of rods which adds t the cost

You need one good A2 steel threaded bar, 8 BZP threaded rods and 2 8mm bar.
All together less than 20€.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 28, 2011 09:33AM
Im in the UK. Where do you get the rods? The ones on ebay are really expensive
October 28, 2011 09:57AM
I live in Germany and the A2 steel rods I bought over Ebay.de.
You need 2 1m (100cm) rods of high quality A2 steel e.g.
[www.ebay.de]
for 12.66€.
I bought 4 (for two Mendel machines for) ~ 18.70€.
[www.ebay.de]

The threaded rods, both BZP and A2 you can get at almost any hardware store for 1€ and ~3€ respectively for 1m (100cm) lengths.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 28, 2011 12:13PM
Ok thanks, well I cant seem to find any good prices on ebay (7 pounds for a threaded bar.. and i need 8) so Ill have to check teh store.
October 28, 2011 02:22PM
B and Q sell threaded bar cheap, £1 a metre last time I looked.

You can get cheap rod on ebay.
October 30, 2011 08:59PM
Gordon13: I could print you an improved Wades extruder for your printer, made to fit your hotend. Price: 13€ plus shipping. I am located in Austria. Paypal is accepted. PM me if interested. I can also print any other part you might need.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login