Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird problem with Ubuntu 64bits

Posted by misan 
Weird problem with Ubuntu 64bits
November 04, 2011 03:05PM
I have been searching for an answer for a couple of weeks with no luck. I am running my Prusa with Sprinter firmware and Pronterface. When I use OSX on a Mac everything goes ok. Same with windows. But when I try to use my office computer that has Ubuntu 10.4 64bits my prints stop at random times.

After giving it some thought, I realized that uploading firmware from Arduino 022 in that machine also gives me trouble randomly (sometimes upload is successful, sometimes not). That said I understand that nor firmware, nor Pronterface is to blame.

Today I decided to give it more definitive test, so I installed the Pronterface inside a Windows virtual machine running inside my Ubuntu 64bit system. To my amazement there is no problem printing from there.

My guess is that there is some problem with the 64bit version of ftdi_sio module (I have had no trouble with Arduino Uno, that uses a different USB-serial device in the same computer).

Has any of you had a similar problem? (My hardware is a RAMPS board with a Mega 1280 kind of oldish so it still uses an FTDI usb-serial chip).

I've tracked down the print interruption to the dropping of some of the characters of the "ok" answer from the Mega. And the problem hits me no matter I am powering RAMS board and doing the real print or just pretending it by running the print without powering the RAMPS board.

Any help is welcome,

misan
Re: Weird problem with Ubuntu 64bits
November 04, 2011 06:14PM
Hey misan,

I was wondering what version of ubuntu you are running.

I am also running a 64 bit version of ubuntu / natty narwhal. I usually flip back and forth between windows and ubuntu, depends if im trying to develop at the same time im printing or not. It seems to be working fine, but my arduino board is also a 2560.

bdcannon
Re: Weird problem with Ubuntu 64bits
November 04, 2011 06:22PM
Hi bdcannon,

I am using the latest LTS which is the 10.4 aka Lucid Lynx version of Ubuntu, 64bits version.

I can see the Mega 2560 is only available with 8U2 instead of FTDI usbserial adapter. Lucky you!

Thanks,

misan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 06:52PM by misan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login