Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do I need nichrome wire for the hot end?

Posted by 3D2B 
Do I need nichrome wire for the hot end?
November 05, 2011 07:41AM
I've started a Prusa build , inc Wade's geard extruder.

Not sure about the hot end need for nichrome.

I've received the hardware kit from the reprapstore inc the hot end kit
hot end kit for Wadesgeared extruder

It includes "6mm hole for resistor"

I've cross referenced to this posting:
posted query

which says:
"2. I think the resistor hot end is less hassle than winding Ni-chrome. The resulting hot end is much more compact and clean looking. "

So... are there two hot end approches , one needing nichrome , the other a resisitor?

In other words can I ignore ordering nichrome wire and just use a resistor?

Also what's the value & type of resistor?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2011 07:41AM by 3D2B.
Re: Do I need nichrome wire for the hot end?
November 05, 2011 08:52AM
Hello,

The heater resistor designs work fine and save a lot of hassle. Since a wire-wound resistor is make out of nichrome, anyhow, the resistor is used basically as a nichrome heater cartridge.

Two resistors are quite common and they are the 5.6 ohm and 3.8 ohm resistors. I linked to the specs here: [reprap.org]

Regards,

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2011 08:53AM by reifsnyderb.
November 05, 2011 06:12PM
Brian,

Thanks for clearing that up. Some of the sellers had for sale the nichrome wire in one Metre lengths
which seemed quite a length for what might be needed, which was another cause of confusion.
I have a heap of resistors in the workshop already, so should have whats needed.

Mike
November 05, 2011 06:53PM
Hey Mike,

I have to add, the power resistors can save quite a bit of hassle. For one, they are already insulated from conductive material, so it is as easy as slipping it into the bore for the resistor. And two, they are much easier to switch out if, lets say, one dies. The nichrome is nice because you can literally just wrap it around a hot end design and then insulate it. I guess they each have they ups and downs.

Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login