Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large-scale 3d printer

Posted by asifjahmed 
Re: Large-scale 3d printer
January 31, 2016 02:38AM
karabas
VDX
... there are several cartesian- and delta-based frames with up to 12 meter building height for 3D-printing architectural parts nad complete houses out from concrete.

In future this will get common and even bigger - especially in Japan and China they're fond of "printed houses" ... and NASA too has plans to install 3D-printers on the moon or on Mars to 'print' habitates ...
Yes large printers exists but
but one problem - large scale prints do not exist

not yet.
January 31, 2016 08:04AM
What does that mean? There are plenty of large scale printers out there, Gigabot, for example, and they're being used to make large prints all the time. Do you mean there are no large scale prints posted on Thingiverse or Youmagine? Who cares? Anyone with the resources and skills to build a large scale printer will probably be designing their own stuff anyway.

Please don't tell me the whole point of building this large scale printer is to print big Yoda heads and tugboats.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 02, 2016 02:19PM
the_digital_dentist
What does that mean? There are plenty of large scale printers out there, Gigabot, for example, and they're being used to make large prints all the time. Do you mean there are no large scale prints posted on Thingiverse or Youmagine? Who cares? Anyone with the resources and skills to build a large scale printer will probably be designing their own stuff anyway.

Please don't tell me the whole point of building this large scale printer is to print big Yoda heads and tugboats.

please define big.
no, there's more to it than yodas and tugboats. pretty sick of them myself, I might add.
it's about printing day to day objects to scales which make them more affordable to be used by humans, without feeling the frustration of printing volume being too small for the job.
Attachments:
open | download - maxresdefault.jpg (43.4 KB)
open | download - 3D-printer-stratasys-objet1000-open.jpg (77.9 KB)
February 07, 2016 01:49PM
installed yesterday one of the two reinforcing rails, pictures attached.
monday will install the other one, then it's time to install and tension the belts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 01:52PM by val c..
Attachments:
open | download - picture253.jpg (326.7 KB)
open | download - picture255.jpg (343.7 KB)
February 10, 2016 01:11AM
it was a good day today.

done installing and tensioning the belts for the two x axis. tomorrow it's time for the two y axis, then tie up some loose ends (end stops, etc.) then it's time to connect the extruder and heated pad to the smoothieboard, after which it's time for glass and testing. hope to be ready for testing by end of february.
last but not least, the re-designed front plate of the port extruder works great, and there's no more danger of timing belts rubbing against the stepper contacts.

February 11, 2016 01:38PM
I would tend to go with a heavy chain drive for the axis travels. As in Bike chain where the stretching would not occur. This still keeps the motors external to the build chamber.
But I haven't seen anything like this.

And I have been thinking of a gas(LP) heated system for a bed. A barbeque gas grill with added thermostat could be easily converted for this.

There is a cross over point where the necessary mechanics wont lend itself to an home place type of printing. This next step could be sized in the cubic space of a typical clothes dryer or larger to automobile sized. This still fits in the garage. After that to a controlled environment shed or house extension.
At some size point there would have to be a concrete base to rest on. And on and on we go.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 01:49PM by Giantkiller.

Replikeo Prusa I3 Rework, Ramps 1.4, Marlin, Pronterface, Tinkercad.
Plan B is always to be somebody else.
February 13, 2016 03:51AM
It is highly innovative, using RepRap Fused Filament Fabrication (FFF) technology and scaling it up to build a house from PLA material on a canal in Amsterdam.

The house is still being built, however. Construction has already taken almost two years, and it is not yet complete. DUS Architects and Fiction Factory, the companies behind the project, have just added a second KamerMaker — with twice the original print volume — to speed up construction.

The first KamerMaker was already printing at 240 mm/s.

Java training in chennai | Android training in chennai | Oracle dba Training in Chennai | Python Training in chennai
February 18, 2016 12:43AM
a quick video of the first cold run tests. got to hook up the extruder and heated bed, and get a piece of glass for the heated bed, then it's time for testing and fine tuning.

[www.youtube.com]
February 27, 2016 04:13PM
its parts of this engine i have to have re cast and the 3d printing would be a good avenue ! allowing for shrinkage and shrinkage of the fillament of the printer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 05:05PM by greeves246.
March 02, 2016 09:13PM
some more pics from hooking up all things extruders..

extruder steppers hooked up:

extruders fans hooked up:

connection to adjacent cable carrier (work in progress):

cable carrier at the extruder end (work in progress):

remaining: to hook up the hot end heaters and temperature probes, and to zap strap all the wires, make them look nicer..
hopefully the glass will be here next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 09:44PM by val c..
March 05, 2016 11:44AM
moving on, the extruder is wired and connected to the smoothieboard. time for some tests.

March 05, 2016 11:48AM
This may be one of those cases where 'awesome' is a completely appropriate and accurate description. Wish I was there to share the excitement!
March 06, 2016 12:36AM
..and a short video of the machine in operation.

[www.youtube.com]
March 08, 2016 07:22PM
I want to see more. I hope this works out well for you. What size nozzle are you running off the gate?
March 09, 2016 04:12PM
n8bot
I want to see more. I hope this works out well for you. What size nozzle are you running off the gate?

so far, all worked out ok.
will be using 0.4 and 0.8 mm nozzles for the purpose of testing.
March 15, 2016 12:24PM
today, the glass is coming, brought by a buddy of mine.
beer is already cold, can't wait to see how the glass sits on the bed.
will post pictures soon, hopefully tonight if sober.
March 16, 2016 12:17AM
after a hard day's work..

soon, this sleeping sucker will pe put thru the paces

March 16, 2016 08:06AM
smiling smiley smiling smiley

What does the glass weigh in at? What's your levelling mechanism, or are you going to forgo levelling, mount the bed solidly to the carriage so that it maintains flatness and use ABL to deal with any level issues? Ah, excuse me while I go and write that in another thread smiling smiley
March 16, 2016 10:40AM
JamesK
smiling smiley smiling smiley

What does the glass weigh in at? What's your levelling mechanism, or are you going to forgo levelling, mount the bed solidly to the carriage so that it maintains flatness and use ABL to deal with any level issues? Ah, excuse me while I go and write that in another thread smiling smiley

will use zprobe, since the machine is powered by smoothieboard.
[smoothieware.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2016 01:47PM by val c..
May 10, 2016 01:49AM
after a break, back in business.
thermistor and glass installed, remains to hook up the silicone pad and then leveling.

May 10, 2016 07:38AM
How are you going to get the machine out of that room?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 10, 2016 08:27AM
I don't think it's the sort of machine you throw in the back of the car to take to the makerspace. smiling smiley
May 10, 2016 10:40AM
it comes apart like you peel a banana.
that, or tearing a big hole in the front wall.
smiling smiley
May 10, 2016 10:43AM
JamesK
I don't think it's the sort of machine you throw in the back of the car to take to the makerspace. smiling smiley

no, it's not meant to compete with prusas and mendels at them makerfairs.
May 10, 2016 11:25AM
the_digital_dentist

The same way Gibbs got the boat out of his basement on NCIS. :-)
May 10, 2016 08:05PM
stephenrc
the_digital_dentist

The same way Gibbs got the boat out of his basement on NCIS. :-)

you lost me here.
i don't watch ncis.
May 10, 2016 09:32PM
Gibbs built a large wooden boat by hand in his basement. The only access seen in the show was a regular door and a flight of stairs. No door big enough was ever shown and Gibbs just smiles when asked how he got it out of there. Also, the writers for the show won't say how either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 09:33PM by stephenrc.
May 11, 2016 03:30AM
stephenrc
Gibbs built a large wooden boat by hand in his basement. The only access seen in the show was a regular door and a flight of stairs. No door big enough was ever shown and Gibbs just smiles when asked how he got it out of there. Also, the writers for the show won't say how either.

sounds like x files.
May 15, 2016 11:46AM
a few days back, i ran the first heating tests. hooked up the heating pad directly to the grid, 110 volts, without using the ss relays yet that is. the pad has four independent quadrants, which were hooked up in series by pairs, then the pairs hooked up in parallel, then everything went directly into the 110 plug. estimated power consumption is 500 watt, out of the total 4400 which the pad can take at 110v.
it took some 25 minutes to bring it up to 70C, from 25C room temperature.
will know more after installing the relays and hooking everything up to the smoothie.

bottom line is, etched foil silicone pads work wonderfully.
May 15, 2016 01:38PM
Excellent!

One minor trick that has helped my bed heat faster is covering the unused portions with aluminum foil, kapton-taped down. It reflects the heat that might otherwise radiate away. It won't help if you're using the whole bed, of course, but if you're only using a bit it can make a huge difference in terms of heating speed and power required to hold temperature.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login