Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3-d pen work and update on high tempature heating experiements

Posted by ohiomike 
3-d pen work and update on high tempature heating experiements
May 02, 2007 03:09PM
Alright,

I finally got the fitting for the air line to run my new binary paste gun. It works fine! The problem right now is that the material I am trying to extrude is too high in viscosity so it is tending to set up in the static mixer. But the system seems to work fine at about 50% polymer by weight, I just need to have enough solvent present to lubricate the mixer. See the attached pictures.

My attempt to create a Darwin part went reasonably well, the problem was I baked the result to speed hardening but it resulted in part deformation from the solvent being flashed off.

Another realization that I made was the if I use a high viscosoity binder I can make a modeling clay type material that is easy to work by hand. I will also start looking into the possibiliy of making a repstrap by simply molding and reinforcing.

As far as the inorganic materials go, I had one success and one failure. I have been testing using Kanthal wire to generate 1000C looking for a proof of concept on an aluminum extruder. I CAN generate 1100C from $5 worth of wire and a transformer. My transformer cost $1000 but I believe that a high amp power supply ($150) should be able to generate the 700C necessary to reliabily melt aluminum. My failure was that the inorganic binder doesnt hold up well enough, so I will have to switch to high temp cement.

One very interesting result was my realization that the inorganic binder is VERY water soluable but that inpregnating it with an organic binder makes it completely water resistant. So my working image is a progressivly filling cavity where the filler/inorganic blend lays down a layer over the entire work surface. Then an high temp aluminum extruder lays down the wiring, (aluminum tempatures wont even give the inorgainic binder pause) followed by a second head impregnating the inorganic/filler blend in the desired pattern, building insulation around the aluminum wires as necessary for the expected electrical load. Once one layer is finished, just lay down the next layer of inorganic/filler and repeat. The inorganic mateial acts as a catayst for the crosslinking reaction so the potlife of the blend can be greatly extended. After the part is finished just dip it into water and the inorganic/filler blend that wasnt impregnated can be shaken off. That way it isnt necessary to pump material with a high filler load, but you can still get the price and performance benifits. The problem I am going to have is finding an acid based inorganic when I try and switch to furfural based materials, but that shouldnt be impossible.

Built in support material and since the cavity is progressing down it isnt necessary for the heads to index up.

Mike

The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:40PM by ohiomike.
Attachments:
open | download - closeup.jpg (19.5 KB)
open | download - RepRap3dpen.JPG (10.4 KB)
Re: 3-d pen work and update on high tempature heating experiements
May 02, 2007 04:21PM
really cool. aluminum extruder? sign me up =)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login