Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

University outreach program?

Posted by ohiomike 
University outreach program?
June 19, 2007 01:15PM
After speaking to the head of the Fab@Home project at Cornell, an idea occurred to me (and I never met an idea I could resist). Reprap might benifit from asking around local univeristies to see if any of the material/engineering departments might be interested in getting involved.

I work very near to the Ohio State University, home of an excellent materials science department. Being Alumni I sent a email to a prof that I knew in school that has since retired. He sent me a couple of names of other professors that might be interested. I figure if we can get even a single masters student to make a thesis out of these concepts then we can get lab time and academic support that we dont have access to outside of Bath.

Anyone see any major problems with this type of move?

Mike

The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:22PM by ohiomike.
Re: University outreach program?
June 19, 2007 02:29PM
"Anyone see any major problems with this type of move? "

Nope. Good luck.
June 19, 2007 03:34PM
yeah, the more outreach the better. any time we can get more people interested in the project its a good thing. plus, getting the parts printed for darwin may be feasible if you find an education place that has access to a stratasys.
June 19, 2007 04:43PM
Getting access to a Stratasys is relatively easy. The last lecture on RepRap that I gave got me an offer from a 3D prototyping firm for free use of their Stratasys. Fronting $4.50/cubic inch for the filament required to make your parts, otoh, can be a little scary.
June 19, 2007 05:03PM
My thinking was also revolving around the money issue, grad students and university departments have access to grant money that private non-profits cant access.

Mike

The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:22PM by ohiomike.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login