Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OLPC

Posted by degroof 
OLPC
November 14, 2007 12:36PM
The OLPC "Give One Get One" (http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/give-one-get-one.php) program started this week. I wonder if those things are powerful enough to run a RepRap. Looks like it doesn't run Java by default, so it'd be a bit of effort to install everything needed.
Re: OLPC
November 15, 2007 12:42AM
I would imagine that they are more than powerful enough. Another thing to consider is that not only would the host software have to be ported, you would have to have some other type of connection to the hardware as they don't come with serial ports--as far as I know--and a usb-serial converter cable runs about $25 to $30, not a cheap item if this thing ends up costing around $400.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more this whole project's software would have to be tailored to the little green machine. On the other hand, you couldn't pick a more appropriate platform for it to work on as they are tailored for developing contrys and such. Very awesome.

Demented
November 15, 2007 05:49PM
Hey, Zach. Doesn't that new chip, you're playing around with, have an integrated USB controller?
November 20, 2007 02:10PM
yes, the Arduino board has an onboard USB->serial converter so you can use a plain USB cable.

some variant designs of the Arduino do not have the chip (to save $$$) and instead you can simply use a usb->serial converter cable just like we currently recommend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login