Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I make Brackets?

Posted by Squintz 
How do I make Brackets?
November 27, 2007 03:35PM
I've been searching for a detailed tutorial on making the corner brackets and other plastic parts. I don't have access to a RepRap currently but would like to build my own. Are you guys having a machine shop make these or are you making them your self? What material are you using? Looks like Polypropylene.
Re: How do I make Brackets?
November 27, 2007 11:04PM
Squintz,

My understanding of the corner brackets is that they cannot be made conventionally without much tweaking of the design due to some internal caveties and some trapped nuts. Only solution is to wait for the molded parts set or make a RepStrap.

Demented
November 28, 2007 08:28AM
Squintz,
Joost has made them out of Aluminum, and I have made them out of Oak it is not to hard but you need to drill and tap the material. you can take a look at my machine on my blog at [repstrapping.blogspot.com] I have most of the drawings of my machine and have been very successful so far and have started to print parts to replace the wood parts..

Bruce Wattendorf
November 28, 2007 12:18PM
I was thinking about milling them from a stock 1" sheet of polypropylene. I've not looked at the STL drawings yet to see if that will work. Thats on my todo list for tonight.

[www.modernplastics.com]

I do have taps so thats no big deal. I guess I need to open up those STL files and see how detailed these parts are.
November 28, 2007 12:27PM
I had bought a 1 1/2 inch square rod from Mc master Carr and did not get the time to make any blocks from it but that was my thought also..

I attached a pdf of the corner block I used
Attachments:
open | download - corner_block.pdf (41.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login