Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McWire Lasercut Parts Dementions?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
McWire Lasercut Parts Dementions?
January 12, 2009 11:26AM
Hi:

I'm building a McWire and sent the DXF files to TAP Plasics for a estimate. Just received a call from them asking what the dimensions of the parts are since the files don't seem to contain that information. Where would I find the actual dimensions of all the parts?

Regards
Re: McWire Lasercut Parts Dementions?
January 12, 2009 12:21PM
I believe the dimensions are in mm, but it would be better to check with someone like Demented, who's actually built a McWire. smiling smiley

Wade
January 15, 2009 04:34AM
Yes I agree! the sizes of the acrylic or perspex are not shown... I used a 5mm thickness of perspex... printed the PDF stickers & used a jigsaw to cut them... a power drill to drill, since I don't yet have a drill press. I think my dad has ordered me a "drill press clone"... you stick a standard power drill in it & it used gears & other mechanical things to achieve the same results.

anyway I am done cutting my perspex, you can see how I have done things here:

[iouzo.blogspot.com]
[iouzo.blogspot.com]
[iouzo.blogspot.com]
Anonymous User
January 18, 2009 01:10AM
i know this isn't the correct way to dimension, but here is a quick x stage dimensioning. i think i hit all the important dimensions. can somebody verify it is correct? if it is i will get y and z done shortly...

edit: dual dimensioned it - a bit more hectic but i think it is better for those that use either measuring standard, and also pointed out that the chamfer circles were indeed that and not to be drilled through

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2009 03:14AM by bob332.
Attachments:
open | download - dimensioned_X_Stage.pdf (27.7 KB)
Anonymous User
January 27, 2009 01:32PM
OuZo:

Nice blog. To avoid off center drilling, you might want to center punch first and or use a drill press for accuracy. You can also make a drill press in a pinch out of wood scraps and some nut&bolts. I personally prefer to laser cut the parts if possible since it looks more professional and you don't risk cracking parts.

If some one has already fabricated these parts on an epolog such as the one at the TechShop in Menlo Park California, please post your epilog ready files. I'd be happy to make a few extra parts for those interested at not cost for my time. Provided you cover materials and shipping. As well as detailed CAD or simple pdf with all the dimensions for other that want to cut there own by hand.

As I understand it the x and y are 1/4" thick and the z is 1/2" thick clear acrylic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login