Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New format

Posted by philwaud 
New format
May 10, 2009 01:12PM
Hi folks

Very long term lurker here - and also my first post so go easy!

I first attempted to build a CAD type machine way back in 1980 as part of my A level design project. It wasnt particularly successful but the idea has stuck with me and I have built up quite a collection of steppers, various computer interfaces etc over the years but have never quite got round to a full blown reprap type of machine.

At last, Im ready to dive in but my budget is very limited!

Im going to build the basic frame from 15mm copper pipe and use 90 degree elbow and T pieces to join everything together. Im going to have a flat bed that is moved in the XY direction using drawer runners to keep things smooth. The z direction will be a pillar drill type of holder moving the head up and down. Initially im going for a millar type of reprap but will add an extruder as and when I can.

Ive got a couple of stepper motors from a large colour lazer printer and should have another one coming soon. The printer did have some driver boards using SLA550 chips which I may be able to use or I may wait for the reprap motherboard to be available in a ready built board.

Once things are up and running, I will play with the software side of things. I do quite a bit of programming and Im thinking about using a PHP based control system but will see how I go.

Id just like to say a great big thank you, this project has really inspired me over the last couple of years and I hope I can contribute in the future!

Phil
Re: New format
May 10, 2009 01:25PM
Phil,

Before you go on to build your copper tube reprap machine, I'd strongly suggest that you talk to Simon McAuliffe...

[www.reprap.org]

Simon is one of our original Reprap team members who is extremely bright but not very vocal on the forums. Some years ago, his first attempt at a Reprap machine was a copper pipe design.

It's been so long that I wouldn't attempt to summarise his experience with that machine, but I would suspect that he could tell you an enormous amount about your materials choice and what you could expect to run into when you attempt such a thing.

Best wishes,

Forrest

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 01:27PM by Forrest Higgs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
May 10, 2009 02:14PM
Thanks for the response.

I should have said that I have actually started to build the rep rap, I really should have emailed first! The frame is assembled and I am waiting for the drawer sliders. As soon as I have some pics, ill post them.

Im also in the process of drawing the design using sketchup, I only have hand drawn plans at the moment.

Phil
May 10, 2009 02:18PM
Lycka til! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2009 02:19PM by Forrest Higgs.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login