Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Using push button switch insted of optoendstop

Posted by drummerboyx 
Using push button switch insted of optoendstop
November 07, 2009 10:17PM
Is it possible to use a regular push button switch instead of an optoendstop? I have lots of them and I just want to see if they would work so I don't have to buy anything.
Re: Using push button switch insted of optoendstop
November 08, 2009 03:36AM
People have used micro switches but I am not sure a push button is going to be up to the job. A lot of buttons stop dead when they make contact so your machine may stop with a jolt when it hits them. In contrast micro switches can move some distance past the point where they switch and are designed to be used as limit switches.

The X and Y limits don't need to be very accurate as long as the machine does not home during the build. I.e. it does not matter exactly where the object is built on the table. The Z endstop is critical though because it sets the height of the first layer. You need something repeatable to 0.1mm or better.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 08, 2009 08:17AM
How can I wire the micro switch up? Do I even need limit switches for the x and y? Also, how can I set the max for the axis in the host software?

Thanks,
drummerboyx
November 08, 2009 08:36AM
There. Are two leads on the switch right? Connect one to 5V and the other to the microcontroller with a pulldown resister connected to ground. The resistancel doesn't matter much. Anything over 1K will prevent the switch from drawing lots of current.
November 08, 2009 08:42AM
Thanks!
November 08, 2009 09:33AM
You only need home switches, not limit switches. I.e. one per axis. I was using "limit" in the more general sense.

November 08, 2009 11:22AM
For my repstrap, I've decided to go with a microswitch like this: [www.e-motionllc.com]

When mounted in a way that allows travel past the "zero" or "max" locations, I can zero at the moment of switch, but also allow a little extra travel to slow down.
November 08, 2009 11:22AM
Do I need the home switches for each axis?

I hooked up everything to my arduino and all my axis run with the host software perfectly. When I go to the extruder tab, it reads the temp alright but when I press the "extrude" button or the "heater on" button, nothing happens. I looked in my code and wired it up exactly as it said in my code. Also, in the preferences for the host software I set fiveD to false.

I'm really confused.

Thanks,
Drummerboyx
November 08, 2009 12:17PM
Yes you need a home switch for each axis as the host program will move each axis backwards until it sees the opto blocked, or in your case a switch.

November 08, 2009 07:02PM
Also, I hooked up everything to my arduino and all my axis run with the host software perfectly. When I go to the extruder tab, it reads the temp alright but when I press the "extrude" button or the "heater on" button, nothing happens. I looked in my code and wired it up exactly as it said in my code. Also, in the preferences for the host software I set fiveD to false.

I'm really confused.

Thanks,
Drummerboyx
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login