Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cupcake from makerbot in Canada

Posted by Robbob 
Cupcake from makerbot in Canada
January 13, 2010 05:13PM
Hi all,

first post smiling smiley

I am contemplating the great idea of getting my hands on a cupcake cnc from makerbot. The thing is that i fear the duties fees! I can't seems to get the info about how it might cost me to get the printer from the US. I know i'll have to pay local taxes but the duties fees are unknown. So here is my question,
Anyone here from Canada bought a printer and had it send trough mail? What are the charges apart from the cost of the printer and the shipping?

Of course i'm asking the canadians out there! winking smiley
Re: Cupcake from makerbot in Canada
January 13, 2010 10:30PM
Though in the US we mail equipment to and from canada often. A lot depends on exactly what gets put on the declaration form. If it is something such as "experimental electronic parts for research purposes" I think there will be very little due. If they put something like "Computer controlled milling machine" you will probably pay a lot more.

Our experience is hands down best with fedex, we never use UPS as there were always problems. You can contact fedex or possibly even use their website to calculate the customs fees.
January 15, 2010 12:55AM
Yeah, as a Canadian that's my advice too. Use anybody but UPS. You'll get hit by absurd border fees and delays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 12:55AM by jbayless.
January 15, 2010 07:49AM
Thanks for the info.
I'm trying to get a quote on Fedex but they need the postal code of Makerbot sad smiley

I'm also trying to get hold of my local dutty agent to get info but he's never in his office!eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 10:06AM by Robbob.
January 18, 2010 02:14PM
makerbot ships from brooklyn NY I believe, at least for the parts I have been getting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login