Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1000 Makerbots a month

Posted by spacexula 
1000 Makerbots a month
February 17, 2010 05:06PM
Bre Petis just twitted that they are ramping up to 1000 Makerbots a month. Interesting times ahead.

[twitter.com]

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
Re: 1000 Makerbots a month
February 19, 2010 12:00AM
i wonder how much longer it will be until they can start to bring there costs down because of there increasing volume. i remember from one talk on the reprap that they said they are already shipping more units out than commercial units

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
February 19, 2010 12:26AM
Perhaps Makerbot will be different, but I do not see BitsFromBytes striving to field lower cost 3D printers. Quite the opposite, in fact. BitsFromBytes seem to be trending towards more expensive, fully assembled and tested printers that can be run straight out of the box.

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
February 19, 2010 12:30AM
i guess this will all come down too how they want to make there money, in parts or in labor.

i am in canada so it dose not save me time or money buying from them, but they did have a nice setup last time i looked though, i gotta give them that much.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
February 19, 2010 01:09AM
I don't think the costs will trend down, because the parts they use don't scale down very much.

Electroncis can't get much more cheap that 175 for a whole set. They MIGHT be able to drop that to 150, but below that would take some massive scaling.

Motors, Rods, Bearings, hardware, all don't get cheaper beyond 1000 units.

They could go to a commercial laser cutting firm for their parts, but again the cost savings will not be huge.

So their $750 printer might become $700, but that's about as cheap as it can get.

More likely they will keep selling cupcake, and offer a Poudcake version, with a Mendel sized build plate, heated platform, and better extruder for $1000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 01:10AM by spacexula.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
February 19, 2010 01:17AM
i do not dout that it will only get a few dollars cheaper for them, but right now i will take a dollar where ever i can save it.

but still even if they can just make a little more profit too, that is good news too, and other companies will start to take more notice of them and there product too.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login