Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BitsFromBytes Rapman Expenses

Posted by Morpheus 
Morpheus
BitsFromBytes Rapman Expenses
March 21, 2010 12:19PM
Hi, I'm really new here. I see that parts are really hard to get, so I'm going to buy a BfB. However, I don't have a ton of money, and I'd like to know all the expenses of a Rapman. I know there's the actual price of 795 Euros. I also heard there's a really steep sales tax, like 17%, bringing the grand total to 930 euros. Shipping is also gonna be bad, at least to NJ it will be. Any Rapman users in NJ that can get an estimate on shipping?

What did you Rapman users buy yours for?
Re: BitsFromBytes Rapman Expenses
March 21, 2010 02:22PM
According to the maps there is 1 Makerbot in Moorestown, but that's as close as NJ get's to 3d printers (no reprap, or rapman listed). No announced owners of BfB Rapman in NJ unfortunately.

It almost makes me cry that so many states have no or only 1 printer.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
Morpheus
March 21, 2010 03:37PM
Well, I hope to add 1 to that number...What machine do you have spacexula?
March 21, 2010 04:20PM
Makerbot, I want to build a Mendel, but well for 3-400 dollars I can't keep the parts.

Honestly Makerbot is about 1/3 less than Rapman, more open source, and has a larger community to help you. It's down right Easy to put together (you only have to solder 4 wires to get it running. All parts are American sources, and ship quick.

Rapman is an evolution of the Darwin, and honestly makes better prints out the box than a Makerbot. It uses a stepper based extruder meaning it does MUCH better with PLA. It has a larger build base, and the ability to print from card.

I chose Makerbot because I strongly believe in open source, and could almost buy 2 Makerbots for the cost of a Rapman. I only bought the Makerbot to get a Mendel, when my Mendel is finished, old mister Makerbot is going on Ebay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 04:21PM by spacexula.

Morpheus
March 21, 2010 04:50PM
If it's still in decent condition, I'll take it off your hands...Didn't you make files to print a mendel on thingyverse? If so, maybe I'll use them to upgrade my rapman.
March 21, 2010 05:31PM
Morpheus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it's still in decent condition, I'll take it
> off your hands...Didn't you make files to print a
> mendel on thingyverse? If so, maybe I'll use them
> to upgrade my rapman.

Thats me. Funny thing is I fixed the files and kept not uploading. I am going to upload some improvements when I get home.

Mendel parts don't upgrade Rapman, Darwin parts are somewhat compatible, but honestly Rapman is an improvement over Darwin (as much as it pains me to say).

I'm not selling my Makerbot till I get to build a Mendel, and get it working... All I do is print 3/4 sheets of Mendel parts a day, been doing that for a 2 months now (some stops for breakage). Honestly I will keep doing this till the price falls under $250, which at this rate looks like it's going to be a LONG TIME.

Morpheus
March 22, 2010 06:26AM
The 17% VAT, does that apply to the BfB Rapman?
March 22, 2010 06:49AM
Price, plus Shippping, plus Vat

emt
March 22, 2010 08:58AM
Hi

I think they can supply outside the UK without charging VAT. Email them to confirm.

Regards

Ian
March 22, 2010 10:16AM
Morpheus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 17% VAT, does that apply to the BfB Rapman?

If it is exported outside the European Union
VAT should not apply.

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
Morpheus231
March 22, 2010 07:08PM
I emailed, the speedy reply says outside England, no VAT. So I'll sign up, cause I now have a printer!
March 22, 2010 10:03PM
Wow, didn't know that. Fun!

March 23, 2010 08:37AM
But you will have to pay import duty
March 23, 2010 07:13PM
Anyone know how much?

April 06, 2010 10:20AM
I'm in the US and recently bought a Rapman, out of the UK. I paid no VAT or Import duties and as i recall, no shipping (?). Edit: I think i paid about $50 us for shipping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 10:21AM by rfa.arch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login