Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

programming

Posted by morrist 
programming
June 22, 2010 12:21AM
hey everyone,

-new to the forum here, but i have been reading alot about the reprap project. i plan on buying one of the kits from tech zone. and my first question is about the programming itself.

1.) what is the most common way of drawing an object and printing it?
i am not at all familiar with any of this but am willing to read and learn. are the objects drawn and then exported to the machine? or do you program it completely with g-code?

2.) what languages are easiest to use if any are needed? the only language i do know is c++ , and i only have an intermediate understanding of that.

~morrist
Re: programming
June 22, 2010 12:54AM
Hi Morrist, those questions seem to be frequently asked:
[forums.reprap.org]

Nearly any 3D modeling program can create a .stl file, either natively or via a translator or plug in, and that file can be sliced and turned into gcode. Popular 3D modeling programs include openscad, blender, freecad, sketchup, and {Generic mechanical design programs for CAD that people pay money for}. smiling smiley

2.) what languages are easiest to use if any are needed? the only language i do know is c++ , and i only have an intermediate understanding of that.
I think you'll want to look at: [arduino.cc] if you want to hack the electronic firmware for most flavors of RepRap.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 22, 2010 01:11AM
SebastienBailard,

thanks for the information. i just have one other minor question, these 3d modelling programs, i can draw in that, translate it and print simple as that? are most of the 3d modelling programs free? thanks again for the help

~morrist
June 22, 2010 01:26AM
these 3d modelling programs, i can draw in that, translate it and print simple as that?
Effectively. Barring overhangs, etc.

are most of the 3d modelling programs free?
The ones I mentioned are. Google should help with that query. smiling bouncing smiley

thanks again for the help
No worries. Let me know if you want me to create a RepRap User Group for your area. It is a good way to meet like-minded people, do group orders, and do group builds.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 22, 2010 07:53AM
My personal preference and recommendations as to modelling programs are Wings3D (for polygon mesh modelling) and OpenSCAD (for CSG).

A bit of programming experience is good to have when using OpenSCAD. Browse a bit at thingiverse to see some coding examples and get a feel for the language. One good starters example is thing 3247.

Welcome to the world of 3D printing morrist!

On an unrelated note: I used tinyurl above because the forum didn't like the thingiverse tag url for some reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 07:58AM by Nudel.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 22, 2010 11:58AM
alright, thanks for all those tips. im going to download openscad and wings 3d and check it out. after i acquire some funds i will purchase a reprap. hopefully in a week or so

~morrist
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login