Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wades Extruder

Posted by Magnum 
Wades Extruder
November 18, 2010 10:24PM
I just downloaded the 3D files for the wade extruder. Looking at the extruder block there is no hole in the side for the gear bolt to pass through. Just curious as to why that is not in the model, I haven't seen anything in the build instructions (yet) that indicate it must be drilled out? Since the bolt is captive in the bearings I don't see why this can't be made open.

Am I just overlooking something or is that an error in the saved file? It's that way in the step as well as the Alibre file.

I will probably buy one anyway, but curious.
Attachments:
open | download - M8_Extruder_Block_3.png (112.3 KB)
Re: Wades Extruder
November 19, 2010 12:01AM
skeinforge renders this file with the hole. I have this happen when I try to import the stl into other programs like checkup sketchup. skeinforge wloorks though.
November 19, 2010 12:08AM
Thanks for the info...I suspected it might just be the file but all of the others so far look correct.
November 19, 2010 04:15AM
The hole is blanked off because the part is printed on its side, so would need support material to form the hole in mid air otherwise. You have to cut it out afterwards.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 19, 2010 04:48PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The hole is blanked off because the part is
> printed on its side, so would need support
> material to form the hole in mid air otherwise.
> You have to cut it out afterwards.

I guess i do not understand that. There is already a hole there that is slightly larger. I don't understand why you would need to print a hole? How is the material around the current flat held up?

Once I get mine built I may find these things out more, but at the moment I am not making a connection.
November 19, 2010 05:24PM
At the bottom there is a large hole and then it goes to a small hole. That is impossible to print because when gets to the layer where the hole gets smaller it starts to extrude a circle into mid air and run infill over the edge of the large hole to meet it.

With the small hole blanked off it only has to print infill over the large hole. That works because both ends are supported so it can span the gap. It will sag a bit depending on the machine settings but it is then capable of supporting the outline of the smaller hole above it.

I have started printing this part with support material, so actually it no longer needs the hole blanked off.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 19, 2010 05:34PM
Thanks nopead. The little green light just went offsmiling smiley

Will take a while to get used to additive type processing when I have been used to subtractive for so long.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login