Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Belts and pulleys affecting quality

Posted by Zumba 
Belts and pulleys affecting quality
March 01, 2011 04:01AM
I keep reading about what makes the UP printer better quality than the Mendel. Some say it's the belts and pulleys but I don't quite understand how.

Are the UP belts and pulleys "higher res" with more steps in some way?
Re: Belts and pulleys affecting quality
March 01, 2011 10:56AM
oops the up! uses either a threaded rod or, more likely, ballscrews and nuts. it's also not made by thousands of different builders, each with their own idea of "good enough".

once you have a printing 3d printer, it's almost trivial to upgrade however you want. a ballscrew upgrade would be pricy and take some time to design and configure. On the other hand, you might get nearly as close as a ballscrew upgrade if you just spend that same amount of time calibrating and refining your printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2011 01:22PM by Buback.
March 01, 2011 12:21PM
No the UP uses belts and linear slide bearings.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 01, 2011 03:56PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No the UP uses belts and linear slide bearings.

Then why is it higher res?
March 01, 2011 05:00PM
Zumba Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nophead Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No the UP uses belts and linear slide bearings.
>
>
> Then why is it higher res?

Better quality control mostly, since the entire machine is made by one company and not assembled by the end-user.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 01, 2011 05:48PM
I don't think it has better resolution. It simply uses a smaller nozzle than most people use on a Mendel and has better software.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 01, 2011 06:08PM
Part of that is that the UP printer guys took models that had been printed in ABS, then scaled them by 100%, and printed them out. Since the model is bigger the layers look smaller in proportion, making the product seem more refined.

Also, the UP printer does print with a smaller nozzle and in thinner layers than the average printer. It also has a fully integrated tool path so, for example, they can have timing pulleys and belts that mesh perfectly, and can know the exact dimensions of both; the same basic idea applies to all the other components. There's just less uncertainty, which is important in an open-loop device.
March 03, 2011 06:16PM
Agree with pretty much all points...

The models posted by pp3dp are generally bigger - so the signal to noise ratio is favorable. I don't think they doubled the size (ref: cathedral playset) - but they def. used all of the 135mm build height.

I wouldn't call it higher resolution... Instead, I would call it higher precision (from machine to machine). Removing the user from the assembly process helps a lot. The Up! software also removes a LOT of uncertainty by using 1 flavor of plastic and being well tuned for it.

The user benefits from not having a bunch of tunable parameters. Since the mechanical, material and electrical systems are all well known - you don't need to be able to tune. Its REALLY hard to find a combination of settings that results in less than passable output. Significantly reducing choice helps.

This is most evident when you try another vendor's plastic. I had prints utterly fail using non OEM material. It wasn't until I dialed down the extruder temperature (and dialed up the platform temp) did I get results that are fairly close to OEM. But, I only get such results at very fine layer thickness, so it comes at the cost of print speed and part strength. The software has menus for more tuning parameters - they're just not accessible by the user (maybe not ready to roll out this feature?).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login