Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen 3 and Pololu on Extruder

Posted by brnrd 
Gen 3 and Pololu on Extruder
March 20, 2011 11:52PM
I got a P4AC 4 axis controller by ljyang that uses Pololu 1201 stepper controllers running with the Techzone Gen 3 Remix motherboard and extruder controller on my Mendel. I have it set for 1/16 steps on X and Y, 1/4 steps on Z and 1/2 steps on the extruder.

I wanted to set the extruder to 1/16 steps but I noticed that the retract/restart speed with Skeinforge 040 was noticeably slower with 1/16 steps than with 1/2 steps. This prevented retract/restart from working right so I configured the Pololu for 1/2 steps on the extruder. I set the correct steps per mm in the firmware in both cases. Here's the code with the 1/16 steps commented out:
#define E0_STEPS_PER_MM   85.365      // NEMA 17 59/11 geared extruder 8mm diameter drive SF 40 defines this based on feedstock
#define E1_STEPS_PER_MM   85.365      // NEMA 17 59/11 geared extruder 8mm diameter drive SF 40 defines this based on feedstock
//#define E0_STEPS_PER_MM   682.92      // NEMA 17 59/11 geared extruder 8mm diameter drive SF 40 defines this based on feedstock
//#define E1_STEPS_PER_MM   682.92      // NEMA 17 59/11 geared extruder 8mm diameter drive SF 40 defines this based on feedstock
I took a quick look at the FiveD firmware that I'm using (reprap 20100719) and I couldn't see any parameters that limits the extruder speed. Is this a firmware limit or is this a Gen 3 motherboard limit?
Re: Gen 3 and Pololu on Extruder
March 21, 2011 03:41AM
brnrd
I wanted to set the extruder to 1/16 steps but I noticed that the retract/restart speed with Skeinforge 040 was noticeably slower with 1/16 steps than with 1/2 steps.

eye rolling smiley YES, I would guess about 8 times slower if you didn't change the retraction speed in Skeinforge and generate the gcode file again. eye rolling smiley

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
March 21, 2011 08:00AM
Actually, you don't need to change the retract/restart speed in SF or regenerate the G-code file as long as you change the firmware values for E steps per mm since F is specified in mm/min and E is specified in mm. The conversion to steps is done in the firmware. Anyway, I did regenerate the G-code file and I tried changing the retract speed but saw no effect when I had the stepper on the extruder at 1/16 steps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 08:01AM by brnrd.
March 21, 2011 08:12AM
Hmmm... Strange, this should also work at 16x (gives a better sound when extruding).
But, whatever works for you...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
March 21, 2011 08:56AM
Do you have this working on a Gen 3 board?

I thought there might be something different about the SDA/SCL pins that the motherboard is using to drive the extruder stepper. But it seems that these pins are also connected to digital I/O pins just like the ones driving the 3 stepper motor controllers.
March 21, 2011 08:59AM
I am using the double bridge on the extruder board and not a seperate pololu (although I bought some just in case) so I have always been using half stepping.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
March 21, 2011 09:14AM
Well, after switching to a real stepper motor controller, that high pitched whine is gone. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login