Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermocouple question

Posted by HereinCS 
Thermocouple question
March 26, 2011 07:57PM
I'm curious if a thermocouple such as the type K in the Makerbot can be cut and rejoined. I want to make a quick connect for this thermocouple using a DC male/female connector set. I'm just wondering if the different metal that is in the DC connector will mess up the thermocouple readings.

Thanks.
Re: Thermocouple question
March 26, 2011 08:10PM
Yes it can. As long as both pins on the connector remain the same temperature it works perfectly.
March 27, 2011 12:39AM
I understand that the connector has to be the same type of metal or you will get erroneous reading from the additional junctions. There are connectors designed for use with thermocouples.
March 27, 2011 01:39AM
It doesn't have to be the same kind of metal as long as the junctions are the same temperature.

Quite frankly it's not worth the added expense as long as the extension junction and the on chip junction are at approx room temperature.
March 27, 2011 08:10AM
OK. You mean that the both connectors has to be at the same temperature so that any voltage in one contact is canceled by the voltage in the other contact.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 08:39AM by brnrd.
March 27, 2011 11:09AM
Yes.

Technically speaking, both those connectors should also be the same temperature as where the thermocouple reading chip on the circuit board is. A couple degrees off will only slightly affect the reading, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login