Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beginner's guide to 3d printing?

Posted by thenoviceoof 
Beginner's guide to 3d printing?
August 02, 2011 01:24AM
It seems like many of the existing resources either are focused on the very basics (3d printing is like 2d printing, but in 3d!) or very specific (here is how I put together my Wade's!) Before I go off and make something for the people that have decided they want to get into printing, but don't know their Thing-o-matics from their Prusas (essentially mapping the current landscape of printing, and how fastest to get involved), I wanted to check that I'm not duplicating effort.
Re: Beginner's guide to 3d printing?
August 02, 2011 02:43AM
I'd love to see a step by step guide to installing drivers, setting up your printer for its first print, checking alignment etc etc.

A guide to the software process would also be good,.. from creating the shape in freecad right up to printing. smiling smiley
August 02, 2011 08:27AM
I'd love to see that guide too.
Tutorials on software choices and how to use them.
Plus how to calibrate your machine to get a good print would be great.

The 3 that I've collected are:
eMaker's 3-click print video.
Spacexula's skeinforge40+ video.
And 3rd is MakeMe's blog 3D printer toolchain.

ISTAR Scope Club
August 02, 2011 09:18PM
Here are three good articles from the wiki that helped me get from the assembled stage to the printing stage:
Getting Started
Config Axes
Leveling the Print Bed
August 03, 2011 01:45AM
Actually, I was thinking higher level than that, targeting people before they run out and buy parts: a comparison of printers and an overview for makers, if you will. However, I'm guessing by the responses that nothing immediately sprang to mind, so I'll go make the guide, which may or may not balloon in scope.
amk
August 03, 2011 04:01AM
This is probably not quite what you're aiming at but its a good article worth taking a look at - lists the options for sourcing parts/kits : [blog.reprap.org]
August 03, 2011 08:19AM
OhmEye's exellent video is a must see for beginners: [www.youtube.com]
August 05, 2011 11:18AM
Thank you, these are great resources.
August 06, 2011 12:45PM
also check out this link, reprapfordummies.net created by the the creator of SFACT (simplified skeinforge)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login