Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CAD for 3D Printing Tutorials?

Posted by jedibowler 
CAD for 3D Printing Tutorials?
September 21, 2011 07:11AM
Howdy,

I'm in the process of building a Prusa and I've been trying to get to grips with CAD so I can design my own stuff to build. I used to do CAD at school but that was a long while ago now and I'm more than a bit rusty.

I've been searching for a tutorial on CAD for 3d printing to get me back up to speed, ideally with a freeware CAD package, but there are that many packages out there it's as clear as mud.

Can anyone suggest a book or site that would be a good reference to get me up and printing? Easy to learn CAD software recommendations would be useful too, I'm a Windows developer so I guess "easy" is relative. smiling smiley

Any tips welcome!

Thanks,
Keegan
Re: CAD for 3D Printing Tutorials?
September 21, 2011 07:25AM
I would start by reading "Useful Software Packages" in the RepRap wiki.

I (as an avid POV-Ray user of old) prefer OpenSCAD but also like Google SketchUp.
I have heard that FreeCAD and HeeksCAD are also not bad.
Blender is supposed to be fantastic once you learn how to use it.

I use OpenSCAD whenever I can (because I am an old PovRay user and the language is almost identical) but Google Sketchup is certainly a FREE, powerful and easy to use program - and yes you can draw things in millimeters and export to STL (with a plugin that you have to download). Sometimes you need to use another program such as netfab Studio Basic to make the part manifold, but it works.

If the object is not manifold then some software has problems with it.

Do the following:
Download the netfabb Studio Basic software.
Install it.
Double click on an .stl file (netfabb Studio Basic should start and open the file).
Click on the RED PLUS in the TOOL BAR.
On the bottom right click on the "Apply Repair" button.
Click on "YES" when the "Remove old part?" confirmation question appears.
Select from the main menu "Part - Export part - as STL (binary/ASCII)" and specify the pathname.

Basically you can use any CAD program that you want as long as it has the capability to export to STL format.
This is the format that all the slicing/skeining software uses.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 21, 2011 07:52AM
Ooh, the programmer in me likes the look of OpenSCAD! Should at least get me started so I can get used to the concepts again.

Thanks for the tips Bob.

Regards,
Keegan
September 21, 2011 08:19AM
YES, plus there are some really nice libraries available and parametric objects.
For example, there are several gear librarys and paramatric project boxes...

Take a look on Thingiverse at everything tagged with OpenSCAD!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 08:38AM by rhmorrison.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login